Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: DE filter/pump running slow

1. Back To Top    #1

DE filter/pump running slow

My husband and I broke down the DE filter, cleaned it out, backwashed, blew the lines, replaced the DE filter and the pump is still running slow. It starts out running great, (around 23) and then the water slows down from the return valve. Not sure what else we need to do to keep it running great for more than an hour. I go out to bump the filter every hour to keep the pump running good, just am not use to the pump/filter slowing down so quickly. Any suggestions?
    We have a 16 x 32 in-ground pool. We have a Hayward DE filter pump. Not sure when the pool was put in but I do know it has California coping, which they no longer make. It has a vinyl liner which was replaced in 2009 along with the filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: DE filter/pump running slow

Welcome to TFP!

What does your water look like?
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

Water is cloudy. The longer I run the pump the clearer it is becoming. Just taking along time with the pump running slow.
    We have a 16 x 32 in-ground pool. We have a Hayward DE filter pump. Not sure when the pool was put in but I do know it has California coping, which they no longer make. It has a vinyl liner which was replaced in 2009 along with the filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

Sounds like your filter is doing what it is supposed to do. Cloudy water is usually early algae and it clogs filters fast. Backwash, note the pressure and then backwash again when pressure rises 20-25%. With cloudy water and/or algae growing that could be every few hours.

Cloudy water is a chemistry problem, not a filter problem. There is probably not enough chlorine in the pool. Either now or recently. Chlorine should always be kept at target level and never drop below minimum for your CYA, Chlorine CYA Chart. When chlorine level drops below minimum level the pool is not sanitized and algae starts growing. Often the first signs of algae are rapidly clogging filter, slimy pool walls or cloudy water.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

You have just discovered the weakness of a DE filter: it cleans too well. All that cloudiness in your pool is ending up inside the filter, clogging it up the way it's supposed to. It will continue to clog frequently unless you put a stop to the source of the cloudiness, which is probably algae. More than likely, you have insufficient free chlorine for your stabilizer level. Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!