Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: In the middle of install and need help re: sand and foam!

1. Back To Top    #1

In the middle of install and need help re: sand and foam!

We have leveled and compacted our pool base, including pavers for the legs. Now my husband wants to put a thin layer of sand because he is concerned the tarp and foam boards will not provide enough protection from the road base.

Could we put sand over the pavers as long as we made sure the legs rest in the right spots?

Also, it looks like no store near us carries the extruded foam boards. Will the rigid foam boards work?
    NEW POOL : 9 x 18, 48" deep - Bestway brand, 1 HP Intex 3200 Pump/Sand Filter Combo, Wanda the Whale, Hayward through wall skimmer (still in box)
    OLD POOL 5,100 Gallons, 9 x 19 used Splash a Round, Intex SWG, 1.5 HP Hayward Power Flow LX pump, Pentair Clean and Clear 150 sq. ft. filter, hard plumbed, Wanda the Whale,

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: In the middle of install and need help re: sand and foam!

It's best to keep the sand off the pavers. I'm not very familiar with the rigid foam boards so I can't answer.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

Casey,

Because we have already leveled and have the pavers in, it would not be advisable to put a thin layer of sand (less than an inch) under the pool bottom itself while leaving the pavers be?
    NEW POOL : 9 x 18, 48" deep - Bestway brand, 1 HP Intex 3200 Pump/Sand Filter Combo, Wanda the Whale, Hayward through wall skimmer (still in box)
    OLD POOL 5,100 Gallons, 9 x 19 used Splash a Round, Intex SWG, 1.5 HP Hayward Power Flow LX pump, Pentair Clean and Clear 150 sq. ft. filter, hard plumbed, Wanda the Whale,

4. Back To Top    #4

You can add a layer of sand in the perimeter of the pool itself but I'd not put sand on top of the pavers.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you Casey!! If we do use the foam boards would it be:

sand
    tarp
    foam
    pool

Thanks again. I notice, and appreciate, how you have been chiming in on everyone's posts to help out.

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes, you are on the right track Megan.

And thank you. I just got my laptop back up and running. It's so much easier than that phone I've been using.

7. Back To Top    #7

since we're in the same topic. This is my plan without foam board since I don't have any more money.

minus rock
    sand
    Armor Shield Pad
    Kotap 10-mil Silver Poly Tarp

Will this work? I keep thinking about adding no foam.
    --------
    Intex 22' x 52" Ultra Frame - approx 10,000 gallons of water
    Intex Sand Filter pump (8hrs Run Time)
    Krystal Clear Saltwater Model 7110/8110 (6hr run time/day)
    K-2006 TEST KIT

8. Back To Top    #8

Latin,

We had our old pool up with no foam or sand, and didn't like the feel under the feet. With your addition of sand, you may not even need the foam. We are doing a thin layer of sand as when we compacted our road base, there were some spots were the gravel in the road base still feels rough under foot. To make sure we have a smooth bottom, we are doing the thin layer of sand, then the foam.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by meganv View Post
    Latin,

We had our old pool up with no foam or sand, and didn't like the feel under the feet. With your addition of sand, you may not even need the foam. We are doing a thin layer of sand as when we compacted our road base, there were some spots were the gravel in the road base still feels rough under foot. To make sure we have a smooth bottom, we are doing the thin layer of sand, then the foam.
    thank you, what I did before was to setup the pool without leveling on 1/4 minus rocks. It was so out of level. So I drained the pool and a landscaper level the rocks, level sand and place 12x12 pavers for each post.

Is it ok if the sand is a little higher then the pavers? It's really not that high and less than 1/2 an inch.
    --------
    K-2006 TEST KIT

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by latin_racer View Post
    thank you, what I did before was to setup the pool without leveling on 1/4 minus rocks. It was so out of level. So I drained the pool and a landscaper level the rocks, level sand and place 12x12 pavers for each post.

Is it ok if the sand is a little higher then the pavers? It's really not that high and less than 1/2 an inch.
    I would think that if the sand is only slightly higher than the paver, it will compact and settle to about level once 10K gallons of water is placed on it.

I used 3/4" foam on top of compacted crush and run and the feel is perfect. I do not feel you need both sand and foam. I am personally very glad I went with foam as their is no risk of washout like there is with sand.
    Intex 16 * 48 Ultra
    2650 Intex Sand Filter
    Hayward Thruwall Skimmer
    Hardplumbed in 2014
    TF100 Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

I would not use sand. On my initial install I put sand on top of the compacted base. I have since removed as much sand as possible and placed my polystyrene foam directly on top of the compacted base.

Sand washes away, blows away, and is unnecessary. My recommendation is some type of pad (polystyrene for me) directly on top of the compacted base.
    18'X48" Intex Easy Set, 2650 GPH Intex sand filter, Intex SWCG, Intex deluxe skimmer

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Synergy2 View Post
    I would think that if the sand is only slightly higher than the paver, it will compact and settle to about level once 10K gallons of water is placed on it.

I used 3/4" foam on top of compacted crush and run and the feel is perfect. I do not feel you need both sand and foam. I am personally very glad I went with foam as their is no risk of washout like there is with sand.
    thanks for the assurance , what's keeping me away from the foam is the cost. can't spend any more money but I live in the dessert and the sand is surrounded by minus rocks. hopefully it will hold.
    --------
    K-2006 TEST KIT

13. Back To Top    #13

I just found this post and im installing a 15x30 oval pool in New jersey. I have 1 inch thick Extruded polystyrene sheets for the base. I compacted the direct base with a plate compactor level. I was thinking about adding a root barrier like a 18 mil plastic sheeting used for under concrete slabs. would this be a good idea under the XPS?