Draining pool after heavy rain

Jun 1, 2015
toronto
Hi everyone, we have rain for the next 2 days (3-4 inches) and my pool is already very full. I wanted to drain the pool a couple of inches as it does not look like there is any overflow basin built into the pool. From my limited knowledge I think I can switch the port on the sand filter to "waste" and than turn on the pump.

My questions is two parts, firstly when I switch the port from Filter to Waste without the pump being on I can hear water rushing ( I assume to the drain), so I am not sure if the pump really needs to be running? Second question I have is that the valve that controls the backwash and I assume waste port is the same pipe. So does this pipe valve need to be closed when the port is switched to filter or can it remain open. I do not hear any water running with the pipe valve being open and in filter mode (with pump off) but as soon as it is in waste mode water rushes out to the drain. I have attached some pictures for reference. One is for my spa (orange valve) and the one with the blue valve is for the pool.

P.S My PSI is normally around 20 when in filter mode and in waste mode it is 30. I am not sure if this is an area of concern.
2sanuvp.jpg

ev43dv.jpg

When you turn the filter to waste water will come out. It just does not "clean" the sand at the same time. You do not have to have the pump on.

I set my timer so that I do not forget about it! You don't want to dump too much!

Do you know where the water goes with it is set to waste? I would find out and look to see if you are losing any water if you leave that valve open.

Kim

hi saltman,

if the pump and filter are below water level of the pool, you will have to turn on the pump.

Switching the valve to the waste port releases the pressure in the filter, and thats you hear water running.

To pump out some water.
Turn off pump.
Put filter valve on waste.
Turn the pump back on.
No need to swith any other valves.
Water will be pumped out of the pool and out through the pipe hooked up to the backwash port.

The filter psi of 30 isnt of any concern with the thing on waste.

hope this helps,

thanks for the replies! the other question I had was: does the valve that contols the waste port and backwash need to be closed or open, right now even with the pump off but valve in the open position I can hear water running when switching to waste port, no sound when switching back to filter.

Waste is to Backwash as Recirculate is to Filter. So you are dumping water outside the pool without the water going through the filter. My pool dumps water when set to Waste even if the pump is off. Just slower. To me, it wouldn't hurt to backwash for the first couple minutes in order to clean your filter media. You'll be dumping water anyway, why not put it to good use beforehand?

Thanks,my question is: do I need to close the valve after switching from either backwash or waste back into filter mode.
The backwash valve - the one with the blue handle - has to be open. The rotary dial multiport valve is set to waste. If the pool is above the filter, the pump doesn't have to be on. It will just drain via gravity. Make sure that waste line is lower than the pool. Personally, I'd use the pump and set the kitchen timer for thirty minutes and recheck the water level. Then just move everything back to normal; filter mode when it was where I wanted it, so I didn't forget it and siphon the whole pool empty.

My pool doesn't have a valve on the discharge side of the pump, so leaving yours open shouldn't hurt anything. Heck, I only have a 3" long piece of pipe sticking out that I have to hold a hose on when I do backwash. Its a pain, maybe I need to add a hard line, like yours.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.