Cullman, AL
So, last night I did my first TF-100 tests, and got this:

FC 9
CC .5
pH 7.5
CH 200
TA 180
CYA 60

This afternoon I went out to the pool and noticed that it needed brushed. I started brushing, and quickly realized that the entire pool (floor, walls and steps) had a very thin layer of what I think is dirt/pollen. When I pushed the brush forward on the bottom, a little brown/yellowish cloud would appear...So, I thought the automatic cleaner would be a better option. WRONG. Hooked it up, and a couple of hours later, the pool is now totally cloudy.

Questions: is this normal? it can't be algae, right? Not with a FC reading of 9? My husband says, "That's completely normal. It's too fine to be caught by the cleaner, and the it's just getting stirred up. The filter will get it." Thoughts?

- - - Updated - - -

Our cleaner is like this one, but it's a little older.

polaris-360.jpg

I back washed it about four days ago.
i would pick up eithe DE or Cellulose Fiber (the fiber is supposed to be more environmentally friendly) and add it per the directions on the link I posted. Once it's in give the pool a good brushing and the DE should start catching all that fine matter.

On a sand filter you want to backwash due to pressure changes. The next time you backwash note the clean pressure. Do not backwash again until your pressure rises 25% over clean.

it can't be algae, right?
It certainly can and probably is. That FC of 9 looks like a recent dosage.....what was the FC before that?

What I think that stuff is is dead algae and it will be caught in your filter and in your vacuum eventually. Keep your FC up at maybe twice normal levels suggested in Pool School and brush and vacuum. it will disappear.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
5 jugs? Sounds like a high amount. What FC target are you going for? It doesn't sound like maintenance mode or SLAM...

Remember CYA acts like a buffer for your chlorine. So only a certain amount is shielded from the sun, once you get out beyond a certain point the FC is actually not protected. I think basically along the lines of having no CYA. So the sun can burn through any of the chlorine above the optimal range pretty fast. Essentially, you won't get ahead by dosing really high and drifting down. I could be wrong with my assumption here... But 5 bottles seems like too much...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.