Dirt? Automatic Cleaner and Ickiness

So, last night I did my first TF-100 tests, and got this:

FC 9
    CC .5
    pH 7.5
    CH 200
    TA 180
    CYA 60

This afternoon I went out to the pool and noticed that it needed brushed. I started brushing, and quickly realized that the entire pool (floor, walls and steps) had a very thin layer of what I think is dirt/pollen. When I pushed the brush forward on the bottom, a little brown/yellowish cloud would appear...So, I thought the automatic cleaner would be a better option. WRONG. Hooked it up, and a couple of hours later, the pool is now totally cloudy.

Questions: is this normal? it can't be algae, right? Not with a FC reading of 9? My husband says, "That's completely normal. It's too fine to be caught by the cleaner, and the it's just getting stirred up. The filter will get it." Thoughts?

- - - Updated - - -

Our cleaner is like this one, but it's a little older.

polaris-360.jpg
    Wendy
    1980s 20x40 in-ground beast, 36K gallons, 4' - 8', vinyl liner, Sand Dollar sand filter, two skimmers, bottom drain, three returns
    TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Dirt? Automatic Cleaner and Ickiness

When was the last time you back washed the sand filter? They actually work,better at capturing fine particles like that when they are a little dirty. Or, as some of us do you can't add DE powder or Cellulose Fiber DE replacement powder,to,the sand filter to,help it catch the fine material.

Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

I back washed it about four days ago.
    Wendy
    1980s 20x40 in-ground beast, 36K gallons, 4' - 8', vinyl liner, Sand Dollar sand filter, two skimmers, bottom drain, three returns
    TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by wjaneala View Post
    I back washed it about four days ago.
    i would pick up eithe DE or Cellulose Fiber (the fiber is supposed to be more environmentally friendly) and add it per the directions on the link I posted. Once it's in give the pool a good brushing and the DE should start catching all that fine matter.

On a sand filter you want to backwash due to pressure changes. The next time you backwash note the clean pressure. Do not backwash again until your pressure rises 25% over clean.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks, Tim.
    Wendy
    TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

If you have a friend with a pool that uses a DE filter you could just get a coffee can full of it from them. The bag I bought looks like I have never used any.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

it can't be algae, right?
    It certainly can and probably is. That FC of 9 looks like a recent dosage.....what was the FC before that?

What I think that stuff is is dead algae and it will be caught in your filter and in your vacuum eventually. Keep your FC up at maybe twice normal levels suggested in Pool School and brush and vacuum. it will disappear.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Dave, it was around 4 before. Thanks for the advice.
    Wendy
    TF-100 Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

With CYA of 60 you should have not let the FC drop to 4. The proper range you should be maintaining is 5-7. What's your daily FC consumption? Going below your minimum puts you at risk of allowing algae to take hold.
    ~19k Gal, IG Vinyl, Hayward SP2607X10 1hp pump, Hayward S200 Sand Filter, built in 70s, has 8 deep end with diving board, 1 skimmer, 1 return, 1 low hole, Polaris booster pump PB4-60, old Polaris robot not sure model, Rheem P-M266A-EN-C 266,000 BTU heater, solar cover, Taylor K-2006 test kit, Speedstir

10. Back To Top    #10

Yes, I am learning that the hard way. I just put 5 121oz. jugs of bleach in at sundown.
    Wendy
    TF-100 Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

5 jugs? Sounds like a high amount. What FC target are you going for? It doesn't sound like maintenance mode or SLAM...

Remember CYA acts like a buffer for your chlorine. So only a certain amount is shielded from the sun, once you get out beyond a certain point the FC is actually not protected. I think basically along the lines of having no CYA. So the sun can burn through any of the chlorine above the optimal range pretty fast. Essentially, you won't get ahead by dosing really high and drifting down. I could be wrong with my assumption here... But 5 bottles seems like too much...
    ~19k Gal, IG Vinyl, Hayward SP2607X10 1hp pump, Hayward S200 Sand Filter, built in 70s, has 8 deep end with diving board, 1 skimmer, 1 return, 1 low hole, Polaris booster pump PB4-60, old Polaris robot not sure model, Rheem P-M266A-EN-C 266,000 BTU heater, solar cover, Taylor K-2006 test kit, Speedstir