Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: More devices than RS-485 connectors on Aqualink

1. Back To Top    #1

More devices than RS-485 connectors on Aqualink

I'm upgrading my Aqualink board and adding an iAqualink and a Pentair Intelliflo VS pump. I have one All Button control panel. So that's 3 devices that want to use RS-485 and there's only two (red 4-pin) connectors. I think that RS-485 is a serial protocol and devices each have an address, so I can connect multiple devices to the same terminals. The manual hints at this saying something like "if you want to connect more than 2 devices to a connector, get the expansion board". Can I just connect the pump and the control panel to one terminal and the iAqualink to the other?

Thanks,
    Rob
    15k gallon, IG plaster pebble surface, single speed filter pump, sand filter, Polaris 280 cleaner w/ PB40 booster, AutoPilot Nano+ w/ RC-28 cell.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: More devices than RS-485 connectors on Aqualink

Someone should be along shortly to help you with this.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

RS485 is a serial protocol.
    You can, in fact, attach two devices to the same red, 4 pin, connector.
    From experience, though, I strongly recommend using the expansion board.
    In the industry, CSP (Certified Service Professional) by the NSPI and it's successor the APSP. My company services over 600 pools every year. I think the practices regularly espoused on this forum (especially the BBB method) are outstanding; however my comments will be often oriented towards the goal of getting it done, and getting it done right now!

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

i have connected 2 devices per 485 but if more i have used the 4 in 1 exp board. when you connect the Intelliflow you will only need the green and yellow wires connected to the 485. have the pump on 24hr power and once you program the pump via the aqualink the Aqualink will tell it when to start and at what speed etc.
    16,000lts Fibreglass, Magna Mineral Pool Water
    Jandy CV340 Cartridge filter, Zodiac TRi SWC, Z4 iAqualink, Jandy Laminar Jets, Solar Heating, Spa Jets with Jandy 1.5hp Epump operating everything.

5. Back To Top    #5

To better characterize a RS-485 network, it's actually a multi-drop serial network. The usual problem with adding multiple devices to the RS-485 network is that most people run all the wiring from the devices back to the connector(s) and terminate then there. This causes communication problems. That's why they recommend using the expansion board. The proper way to run the wiring is to run a single twisted pair by all the devices and then 'drop' a pair of wires off the trunk to each device.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks all. I'm going to try two lines per terminal to start and make sure I get good connections to both wires. $70 for the multi-plex board (jandy 6584) is definitely a factor here. Looking at what the sell the terminal bars for, I guess it shouldn't be a surpise.
    15k gallon, IG plaster pebble surface, single speed filter pump, sand filter, Polaris 280 cleaner w/ PB40 booster, AutoPilot Nano+ w/ RC-28 cell.

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks all. I got two lines into one terminal bar although it did take a little care to make sure both were tight. I can see why you wouldn't want three in there at a time.

8. Back To Top    #8

Is there a wiring diagram for wiring the multiplex board into the aqualink rs control panel. I have used up the two on the pcb. Thanks