Got my test kit, high cya, need to drain...questions!

Laurab

Jun 17, 2015
Lakeland, FL
Here are my test results done today-
FC-3.5
TC-4
CC-.5
ph-7.2+
TA-100
CH-500
CYA-120
according to the pool calculator in order to get the cya level down to 40, we need to drain about 65% of our water, here are some questions:

1. We are leaning towards renting a pump, we just spent $$$ on a brand new pool pump and don't want to risk anything happening to it, is that best? Will it take a while to drain that much?
2. We would also like to take advantage of the low water level to do some tile cleaning and some stain removal. We aren't sure what caused the stains, our water tends to be hard and the pool also sat half full for about six months growing who knows what. We have a large sun shelf that looks sort of like its crazed, don't know if that's the best description, maybe it's just staining, it's very faint, but it sat dry for that 6 mos., besides other areas that def have a faint staining. Any thoughts on how to treat this?
3. What causes high CH levels?
4. Also need to be prepared for the slam afterwards, do you suggest stocking up on chlorine for that? No way of really knowing how long that will take? Our pool gets about 7 hours of direct sunlight.
There is faint green that can be swept up and vacuumed in the mornings just using two tabs no shocking, after the drain we'll be trying the BBB method!

Thanks in advance!!

The only thing that scares me is the possibility of floating the pool. Remember, the pool is a big concrete boat and if you take too much water out, the water pressing up from underneith can push it out of the ground. Lakeland is a little inland, so it might not be bad but before I started the pump I might ask around to see if anyone knows how high the water table is. You have already had it half full, so,apparently you are safe to there.

High CH is caused by your hard water. Are you on a well, city or Polk count water?

You talk about faint green, is this not a swamp any more, but fairly clear?

I have to ask-------what test kit are you using?

Have you tested your fill water? That will help know what to do when you go to drain and refill.

Testing stains-----------get some cheap vitamin c, crush it up and put it in a sock. Put it on one of the stains (in water) for about 10 mins. Let us know what happens.

If nothing happens with the Vitamin c put a puck on one of the stains and do the same thing.

Depending on the results we have plans.

You can buy a cheap sub pump from Harbor Freight. It is good to have around when you have a pool. Make sure to not drain too much. Leave a foot of water in the shallow end.

Find your best source of bleach or chlorine. Buy as much as your cart can hold and plan on going back for more.

We have no way of knowing how long it will take. I wish...........but :(

Kim

Lakeland is in central FL and we are up pretty high here and yes the pool sat half full for sometime. We filled it and got it cleaned up last year but...first time pool owners and using the local pool store, and the ease of the tabs and here we are! I don't know how I actually came to realize the cya was an issue, lots of reading I guess.

I ordered the TF100 test kit, that's what I used for my test results today. I did check the calcium level in the tap water I would use to fill and its high, I think it was 300. Also the water will be chlorinated so yea, I guess I should check that level too.

Any other questions, please ask, I appreciate all the help we can get!

I was more interested in the CH of your tap water. At least with the fill water starting at 300 AND you not adding anything other than what FTP says you should be good once you do some refilling.

You can set up a way to harvest rain water if you want to push down the CH more.

Let us know what your find with the stain tests using the Vit. c and puck.

Kim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.