Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool water level increasing due to rain--When should I drain some water?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool water level increasing due to rain--When should I drain some water?

I am about an inch or less from the coping. At what point is it appropriate to drain some water? Hate to do it because later in the season I am sure I will have to add some due to evaporation.
    24,500 Gallon (640 SF) Inground Gunite Salt Water Pool w/ Diamond Brite Midnight Blue Plaster. Pentair IC 40 Chlorine Generating System. Hayward 60 DE Filter. Jandy Aqualink Remote System. Polaris 360 Automatic Pool Cleaner. 50 SF Spa with waterfall feature
    Hayward 440,000 BTU Heater. Two Colorlogic LED pool lights.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool water level increasing due to rain--When should I drain some water?

Pump it down to just below the top of the skimmer. If the water is above the skimmer opening, it won't work properly to keep the surface clean. That's my rule of tomb anyway when mine fills up with rainwater.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by bk406 View Post
    Pump it down to just below the top of the skimmer. If the water is above the skimmer opening, it won't work properly to keep the surface clean. That's my rule of tomb anyway when mine fills up with rainwater.
    ^^^^^^^^What he/she said

You want sufficient clearance between the top of the water and the top,of the weir door to,allow leaves and such to flow into the skimmer.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

Okay. Thanks. I appreciate your comments.
    24,500 Gallon (640 SF) Inground Gunite Salt Water Pool w/ Diamond Brite Midnight Blue Plaster. Pentair IC 40 Chlorine Generating System. Hayward 60 DE Filter. Jandy Aqualink Remote System. Polaris 360 Automatic Pool Cleaner. 50 SF Spa with waterfall feature
    Hayward 440,000 BTU Heater. Two Colorlogic LED pool lights.

5. Back To Top    #5

Yep. I'm west of Philly and we got hammered. I drained my pool twice in the past two days. PITA. I wish I could hard pipe, but it's just not practical for our setup.
    18' AG pool, 7,646 gallons, Sun from 11:30AM-2PM.
    Pentair Dynamo 1hp pump, Intermatic Timer (6/17)
    Pentair Sand dollar filter - 100lbs, 35gpm
    Pentair Lil' Shark cleaner, TF-100 Kit
    Raypak 206A 200K, BTU gas (6/17)