Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pentair superflo leaking at discharge

1. Back To Top    #1

Pentair superflo leaking at discharge

I was gone for a week and my inlaws ran my pump dry...left the vacuum out of pool. Caused a leak where a good amount of water is running out under the fitting that screws onto the pump at the discharge to the filter side of the pump. I tried to unscrew the fitting with a monkey wrench but couldn't get it to budge. it has tiny threads which break off when I try to unscrew it. Any suggestions? Guessing if I can get that off, I need to get a new fitting. Not sure where to get that either. Suggestions?

I wanted to see if I could remove the fitting with a wrench first thing and couldn't. I feel comfortable with the plumbing repair, if I can get this part off. Do pool stores normally carry these? is it a part I can get at a big box hardware store?

Any advice for fixing this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

EPB

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pentair superflo leaking at discharge

You could get it off and take it to the pool store. They should carry it. Also, wrap it with Teflon tape to keep it from leaking.

Welcome to TFP.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

The union nut on a superflo is specific to that pump. Hardware store will probably not have if unless they have a pool specific department. Sounds like running the pump dry may have damaged the tailpiece or the O-ring inside if the nut is on that tight

4. Back To Top    #4

Do you think I should put CLR or wd 40 or something on it to help loosen it?

5. Back To Top    #5

I am using a monkey wrench & I guess im wondering it the wrench is large enough.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Technically, the unions should be hand tight. As long as the jaws of whatever you're using go around the union nut, you shouldn't be having trouble.

Is it possible they didn't use the superflo unions and just have a PVC fitting threaded into the pump? If that's the case you'll need to cut PVC.

Can you post a picture?