Chlorine Tabs and Shock

Jun 27, 2015
Oakley, CA
Newbie here. I've been using Leslie's Power Powder Plus shock and wanted to try using their 3" Jumbo Tabs to keep the chlorine level up. The clerk at the store told me that it's ok to use both products, tabs daily and shock weekly. After getting home and reading the chlorinator instructions, it says to never mix Tri-Chloro (jumbo tabs active ingredient) with Calcium Hypochlorite (Power Powder Plus). I'm confused with what seems like contradictory information. Can someone please ease my concerns?

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

You NEVER!!! want those 2 forms of chlorine to come in contact with each other, but fine once dissolved in the pool.

But, I would not recommend either of those for you out in CA. You do not want the extra CH (calcium) that the cal-hypo adds or the extra CYA (stabilizer) that the trichlor tablets add. Both if they get too high require replacing your water.

Have you discovered Pool School yet? Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Thanks for the reading materials. Sounds like I need to return the tabs and power powder plus and buy liquid chlorine. So if I'm doing the liquid chlorine as needed, what product should I use to shock the pool weekly? Also, how do I know how much LC to add?

Once you get off the pool $tore roller-coaster you will not need to shock on a regular basis.

All your questions should be answered in the reading material. :)

PoolMath at the top of the page will furnish all the amounts.

Of course the folks here will answer also, but the feeling of empowerment when you do it yourself is pretty cool!!

The powder, the pucks and the liquid are ALL chlorine. Only draw back is the pucks and "shock" will add too much of unwanted things and throw your water balance off. Liquid is the way to go, it adds nothing but small amounts of salt. You can use lithium hypochlorite "shock", but it's very expensive, liquid is cheaper. Once you get your water balanced, and maintain the levels, you will never have to "shock" your pool again. IF you do have to "shock", you can do it with liquid, but it's referred to as a SLAM (Shock Level And Maintain). You can shop at the pool store for other things, but stay away from their advice. Reread the links posted above, and you'll finally see the light. It's actually very easy to maintain a pool with less "ingredients" than the pool store wants to sell you.

Sorry but I didn't see either bleach or liquid chlorine in the options for FC.
Liquid and Solid chlorine are on separate lines:
fGcnDQH.png

Make sure you change the % to whatever the bottle says, and do not use scented or no splash bleach.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sorry but I didn't see either bleach or liquid chlorine in the options for FC.

It's there! To the right of FC Goal it says Add, a little further to the right on the same line you'll see bleach. Just put in the % (usually 8.25 to 10) & the Jug size (usually 121 or 128). I've been getting HTH from the Walmart pool section - 10% 128oz. It's $6.50 for a case with 2 jugs.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.