Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorine Tabs and Shock

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Chlorine Tabs and Shock

Newbie here. I've been using Leslie's Power Powder Plus shock and wanted to try using their 3" Jumbo Tabs to keep the chlorine level up. The clerk at the store told me that it's ok to use both products, tabs daily and shock weekly. After getting home and reading the chlorinator instructions, it says to never mix Tri-Chloro (jumbo tabs active ingredient) with Calcium Hypochlorite (Power Powder Plus). I'm confused with what seems like contradictory information. Can someone please ease my concerns?
    30 x 15, 11K gal, freeform gunite; built 2014; Pentair Intelliflo variable speed pump, Pentair Whisperflo pump, Pentair clean & clear plus filter, helicocol solar panels (installed 6/26/15).

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chlorine Tabs and Shock

Welcome to TFP!!!

You NEVER!!! want those 2 forms of chlorine to come in contact with each other, but fine once dissolved in the pool.

But, I would not recommend either of those for you out in CA. You do not want the extra CH (calcium) that the cal-hypo adds or the extra CYA (stabilizer) that the trichlor tablets add. Both if they get too high require replacing your water.

Have you discovered Pool School yet? Start with these:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the reading materials. Sounds like I need to return the tabs and power powder plus and buy liquid chlorine. So if I'm doing the liquid chlorine as needed, what product should I use to shock the pool weekly? Also, how do I know how much LC to add?
    30 x 15, 11K gal, freeform gunite; built 2014; Pentair Intelliflo variable speed pump, Pentair Whisperflo pump, Pentair clean & clear plus filter, helicocol solar panels (installed 6/26/15).

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Once you get off the pool $tore roller-coaster you will not need to shock on a regular basis.

All your questions should be answered in the reading material.

PoolMath at the top of the page will furnish all the amounts.

Of course the folks here will answer also, but the feeling of empowerment when you do it yourself is pretty cool!!
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

5. Back To Top    #5

The powder, the pucks and the liquid are ALL chlorine. Only draw back is the pucks and "shock" will add too much of unwanted things and throw your water balance off. Liquid is the way to go, it adds nothing but small amounts of salt. You can use lithium hypochlorite "shock", but it's very expensive, liquid is cheaper. Once you get your water balanced, and maintain the levels, you will never have to "shock" your pool again. IF you do have to "shock", you can do it with liquid, but it's referred to as a SLAM (Shock Level And Maintain). You can shop at the pool store for other things, but stay away from their advice. Reread the links posted above, and you'll finally see the light. It's actually very easy to maintain a pool with less "ingredients" than the pool store wants to sell you.
    Doughboy 12' x 20' Saphire semi-AG, Installed 2012
    Waterway 1.5 HP 2 speed, 100 sqft cartridge filter
    Aprox 7000 Gal, Full sun, 85K heat pump,
    TF-100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

For FC, is Chlorine gas on the PoolMath the same as liquid chlorine??

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by jele826 View Post
    For FC, is Chlorine gas on the PoolMath the same as liquid chlorine??
    No, liquid chlorine is the same as bleach.
    16' x 34' vinyl in ground - 16,500 gal.
    Hayward EC-75 DE filter with Hayward 1hp Super Pump
    TF-100XL Test Kit with SpeedStir

8. Back To Top    #8

Sorry but I didn't see either bleach or liquid chlorine in the options for FC.

9. Back To Top    #9

It says bleach all over PoolMath
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

Liquid and Solid chlorine are on separate lines:

Make sure you change the % to whatever the bottle says, and do not use scented or no splash bleach.
    Helpful Links: Pool Chemistry 101 - Recommended Levels - Recommended Chemicals - FC/CYA Chart - SLAM Instructions - Pool Math
    Test Kits:
    TF-100 - Taylor K2006 - SpeedStir Upgrade - Taylor K-1766 Salt Test
    My Pool:
    28k IG built May 2015 - Autopilot SWG - Pentair VS Pump/DE Filter/Heat Pump

11. Back To Top    #11

It's there! To the right of FC Goal it says Add, a little further to the right on the same line you'll see bleach. Just put in the % (usually 8.25 to 10) & the Jug size (usually 121 or 128). I've been getting HTH from the Walmart pool section - 10% 128oz. It's $6.50 for a case with 2 jugs.
    16' x 34' vinyl in ground - 16,500 gal.
    Hayward EC-75 DE filter with Hayward 1hp Super Pump
    TF-100XL Test Kit with SpeedStir