I've Never Backwashed/Cleaned My DE6000

fatboy1271

LifeTime Supporter
I took over my pool duties last summer/fall. I know at some point last year, maybe just over a year ago, the pool guy I had did a clean on the filter. I will go over the DE Filter Cleaning Tutorial. I have a DE6000, which I'm guessing is close enough to the DE6020 jbizzle used in the tutorial?

Is the backwash/cleaning process something that should be scheduled every so often or more about what your equipment is telling you? How are my pressure readings?

Pump speed 50%
WP_20150627_002.jpg

Quick Clean = 81.2%
WP_20150627_003.jpg

I have a DE-6000. I backwash when the pressure rises 25% above clean pressure. "Clean pressure" means the pressure when the filter has been backwashed and recharged with DE. Since backwashing removes most of the DE, it is necessary to add more DE after backwashing. After adding DE, record the pressure that you see. Note: after a backwash, add only 80% of the DE amount recommended for the filter because not all the DE is removed by backwashing. For a DE6000 the label calls for 7.5 lbs of DE, but after a backwash only add 80% of that amount. I only have one speed on my pump, but in your case I would advise recording your "clean pressure" at a higher pump setting (maybe the 81.2% would be OK). Clean pressure varys from system to system due to differences in plumbing. But the thing to remember is to backwash when the pressure rises 25% above clean pressure.

At least once a year I remove the top half of the DE6000 and clean off the grids with a garden hose (remove the plug at the bottom of the filter so the hose water can run out). Sometimes I do this more often than once year if the I've had a heavy load of debris getting into the pool (leaves in the Fall, for example). After I clean this way, I add the full amount of DE (7.5 pounds for DE6000).

When adding DE, I weigh the amount to be added, and add it slowly into the skimmer (pump running of course).

Add DE immediately after backwashing or cleaning. Hayward says Do Not run the filter very long without DE.

I have a DE-6000. I backwash when the pressure rises 25% above clean pressure. "Clean pressure" means the pressure when the filter has been backwashed and recharged with DE. Since backwashing removes most of the DE, it is necessary to add more DE after backwashing. After adding DE, record the pressure that you see. Note: after a backwash, add only 80% of the DE amount recommended for the filter because not all the DE is removed by backwashing. For a DE6000 the label calls for 7.5 lbs of DE, but after a backwash only add 80% of that amount. I only have one speed on my pump, but in your case I would advise recording your "clean pressure" at a higher pump setting (maybe the 81.2% would be OK). Clean pressure varys from system to system due to differences in plumbing. But the thing to remember is to backwash when the pressure rises 25% above clean pressure.

At least once a year I remove the top half of the DE6000 and clean off the grids with a garden hose (remove the plug at the bottom of the filter so the hose water can run out). Sometimes I do this more often than once year if the I've had a heavy load of debris getting into the pool (leaves in the Fall, for example). After I clean this way, I add the full amount of DE (7.5 pounds for DE6000).

Thanks for all that info epro05! It sounds like I need to do this to establish a Clean Pressure and go from there. Is this something I can do on a Saturday morning and then be swimming that afternoon?

jblizzle, the link does not work (for me).

I support your recommendation on the gauge replacement for tftestkits.net. I have one and it is awesome.

- - - Updated - - -

Backwashing takes me about 15 to 20 minutes, including recharging the DE.

Cleaning the grids with a hose takes me 1 to 2 hours.

You may want to review this article as well to learn about the maintenance:
Use and Care of DE Filters

And get a new pressure gauge :D ... the ones tftestkits.net sells are very nice for the price.

Thanks and will do!

- - - Updated - - -

I support your recommendation on the gauge replacement for tftestkits.net. I have one and it is awesome.

- - - Updated - - -

So it's feasible but I'm sure I'll find a way to double the amount of time it takes you :)

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Link is also not working for me. Is this correct?
Use-and-care-for-DE-filters

I'll add one more thing. If you remove the top of the DE6000, you'll need to lube the big gasket that is between the top and bottom half. If you don't, it will be hard to get the top back on. I use the lube from Leslies, but Magic Lube is another choice.

Here's yet another tip that will very likely let you go much longer between backwashing the filter.

I buy a box of eight Legg's everyday Knee Highs (Plus size) at Walmart and stretch it over my skimmer basket. Stretch the top of the knee high over the outside of the basket and push the toe end down into the center of the basket. I put a rock in the toe end to weight down the toe end. It's amazing how stuff it collects that never makes it into the filter. You need to check the knee highs from time to time as they will collect enough stuff to reduce the skimmer water flow. I throw away the old knee high and replace it with a new one.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Awesome info!!! I can't tell you how much I appreciate both of you taking the time to give me pointers :) Hopefully I can do this next weekend.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's yet another tip that will very likely let you go much longer between backwashing the filter.

I buy a box of eight Legg's everyday Knee Highs (Plus size) at Walmart and stretch it over my skimmer basket. Stretch the top of the knee high over the outside of the basket and push the toe end down into the center of the basket. I put a rock in the toe end to weight down the toe end. It's amazing how stuff it collects that never makes it into the filter. You need to check the knee highs from time to time as they will collect enough stuff to reduce the skimmer water flow. I throw away the old knee high and replace it with a new one.

That's funny I just learned about skimmer socks today from a dog hair post. I will add this to my list!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.