Re: SLAM question - Filtration and FC consumption

Tim - Can you go into this some more. I'm not understanding why dead algae/insects are any better being in the filter than in the pool.
My answer was not as artful as it could have been, but on most weekends I'm working off an iPad so it cuts down my typing considerably.

The vast majority of posters who show up here (including the one this post started in) have obvious chemistry issues. While there is little difference in where the organic material resides, you are correct if it is in the water chlorine is going to try to oxidize; it be it in the bulk water of the pool or hidden in the filter.

But, with that being said, we need to get people on track with the SLAM and get the majority of the pool clear and the algae dead. Deep cleaning the sand filter is one of those things near the end of a SLAM where the water won't finally clear or maybe won't pass OCLT.

Please don't think I'm was or am taking a shot at you for dropping that link in the post. I might just suggest including a little commentary as to why you think it's important. When folks are in the midst of these problems they are under stress and start grasping at straws, so we need to guide them down the main road to a clear pool.

Note - Tim posted while I was typing this reply to Kim.

Divin Dave moved my post (a response to tim5055) from this thread:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/98756-SLAM-question
I'm assuming he wanted to make sure the thread didn't go off topic.

Basically the poster's pool was clear but the FC was dropping 11 ppm overnight. I suggested he deep clean the sand filter & tim5055 posted the sentence above as the 1st part of his post.

So here's my question. If the pool is clear but the FC is dropping quickly is this a sign that debris in the filter is consuming the chlorine?

Divin Dave moved my post (a response to tim5055) from this thread:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/98756-SLAM-question
I'm assuming he wanted to make sure the thread didn't go off topic.

Basically the poster's pool was clear but the FC was dropping 11 ppm overnight. I suggested he deep clean the sand filter & tim5055 posted the sentence above as the 1st part of his post.

So here's my question. If the pool is clear but the FC is dropping quickly is this a sign that debris in the filter is consuming the chlorine?

My answer was not as artful as it could have been, but on most weekends I'm working off an iPad so it cuts down my typing considerably.

The vast majority of posters who show up here (including the one this post started in) have obvious chemistry issues. While there is little difference in where the organic material resides, you are correct if it is in the water chlorine is going to try to oxidize; it be it in the bulk water of the pool or hidden in the filter.

But, with that being said, we need to get people on track with the SLAM and get the majority of the pool clear and the algae dead. Deep cleaning the sand filter is one of those things near the end of a SLAM where the water won't finally clear or maybe won't pass OCLT.

Please don't think I'm was or am taking a shot at you for dropping that link in the post. I might just suggest including a little commentary as to why you think it's important. When folks are in the midst of these problems they are under stress and start grasping at straws, so we need to guide them down the main road to a clear pool.

Thanks Tim - I wasn't offended or anything, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

And in answer to your thought, yes we try to keep each thread on topic helping the original poster. While,some web boards allow it, we try to keep each on track. Answering multiple questions for several posters in one thread is difficult to keep track of.

Mike,
I suppose that debris in the filter which hasnt been exposed to enough FC will continue to consume it. Its certainly a valid thought. But if the FC is at slam level, then that shouldn't be the case.

Algae also hides very well behind pool lights, on the bottom of step modings, in water feature pipes that havent been used in a while etc. We've seen tons of clear pools here that consumed FC like crazy and in most all of these cases, it was algae hiding in places where the circulating water couldnt sufficiently get to.

Basically the poster's pool was clear but the FC was dropping 11 ppm overnight.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.