Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool is making me mad

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool is making me mad

My FC is 0
    PH is 8.4+
    TA 240
    CA is 40

Added muriatic acid 1c. Last night. No chanhe. Added 2c borax this morning and numbers are all still the same. HELP
    Selinda
    5,000gal INTEX above ground
    Sand filter
    Not sure of the size.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Pool is making me mad

Your PH was probably much higher than the 8.2.
    I would add the recommend amount of MA to target 7.0-7.2 and the test PH again after 30 mins. Make sure filter is on and water is circulating.

You also need to add bleach to bring FC up.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi Salinda,
    dont add any more borax! Borax increases pH.

The pH test only goes to 8.2, so it may actually be quite a bit higher than that.
    Use pool math to help you.
    Consider the pH 8.2 and target for example 7.5. Use pool math to tell you how much muriatic to add, then add it.
    Wait 30 minutes and test again. Then use pool math again to tell you how much acid to add to get to the target.

Also, with TA of 240, your pH is probably going to be unstable. TA buffers the stability of the pH.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP. With PH that high it will take several to many additions of MA to lower PH. Use Pool School - PoolMath to calculate how much MA to bring it to 7.2, add with pump running, test again in 15 minutes and repeat until PH is in range.

It is important to maintain PH between 7.2 and 7.8.

It is also important to keep FC at target level and never let it drop below minimum to keep your pool sanitized and algae free, Chlorine CYA Chart
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

The pool math is so confusing. Could someone help

6. Back To Top    #6

There are instructions at the top of PoolMath.

Have you discovered Pool School yet? Maybe you should check these out before we continue:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Selinda View Post
    To help you we will need a full set of numbers.
    As well as you pool measurements, so we can determine your actual gallons
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

8. Back To Top    #8

You were off the scale. So your pH could have been 8.4 or 9.4. You just don't know which. All you can do is plug your pool volume, the pH and the TA in, and target 7.2 pH and add what it says to add. Poolmath would not have told you to add Borax if you entered now as 8.4 and target as 7.2. Borax increases pH, so you made things worse. You aren't the first person to make the mistake. It's fixable.

So, what you do is add the appropriate amount of acid - I come up with 34 ounces - more than 4 times what you added. Dribble it into the return stream and then make a lap around the pool brushing to get it well mixed. Somewhere between thirty minutes and an hour later, recheck pH and TA again, and if pH isn't good, plug those numbers into poolmath and try again.

The pH scale is logarithmic, like the Richter Scale for earthquakes, so 8.4 is ten times more alkaline than 7.4, and it will take a lot of acid to budge things. Once it comes down into range, it should take much smaller quantities to keep it between 7.2 and 7.8. The TA will also come down with acid additions, so be sure to check that each time so you get the right dose calculated.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

9. Back To Top    #9

Here are the more detailed instructions, Pool School - PoolMath
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

10. Back To Top    #10

What is it that you add in pool to rise CHA or lower it?

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

Your pool is vinyl, so there is not a big concern with CH.
    Lisa

12. Back To Top    #12

Are you asking about CH (calcium hardness) or CYA (cyuranic acid, also known as stabilizer or conditioner)?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by zea3 View Post
    Are you asking about CH (calcium hardness) or CYA (cyuranic acid, also known as stabilizer or conditioner)?
    CYA sorry
    Selinda
    Sand filter
    Not sure of the size.

14. Back To Top    #14

For right now do not worry about the CYA. You need to work on the PH. Dose and test in 30 mins. Dose again and test in 30 mins until you get it down to 7.5.

Measuring your pool-measure how high your water is in your pool, measure your pool around. Put that in pool math at the bottom and it will tell you how many gals it is.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

15. Back To Top    #15

Its really easy to use pool math. Here's how.
    At the top left, you enter how many gallons of water you pool has. In the sig of your original post, it says 5000 gallons. So if thats how much water you have, einter it into the Size box

In the white boxes on the left enter your test result
    In the boxes to the right of that, enter your target level that you want to get to.
    Then click the calculate button located at the top.

Pool math then tells you how much of something to add, in order to achieve the target level you entered.

Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by Divin Dave View Post
    Its really easy to use pool math. Here's how.
    At the top left, you enter how many gallons of water you pool has. In the sig of your original post, it says 5000 gallons. So if thats how much water you have, einter it into the Size box

In the white boxes on the left enter your test result
    In the boxes to the right of that, enter your target level that you want to get to.
    Then click the calculate button located at the top.

Pool math then tells you how much of something to add, in order to achieve the target level you entered.

My Ph is leveled now.
    Ta is 240
    FC 0
    CYA is 0.
    What are they calling stabilizer
    What can I do to drop my Ta?
    What is my first step
    Selinda
    Sand filter
    Not sure of the size.

17. Back To Top    #17

TFP Guide

Your first step is to add stablizer and bleach
    Lisa

18. Back To Top    #18

CYA is Stablizer or Conditioner. You can find it at Walmart or lowes in the pool chemicals.
    18ft Round AG, Vinyl, 100LB Pentair Sand Filter, 1HP, June 2012, TF-100 w/SpeedStir

19. Back To Top    #19

Hi Selinda,

I believe your FIRST step is to understand what these things are. Please read this short article in Pool School (big blue button at top). No one expects you to learn it all instantly, but it will help you a lot and is the basis of pool care and you can refer to it if you need to.
    Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
    Divin Dave,