Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Trying to fix my friend's pool chemistry

1. Back To Top    #1

Trying to fix my friend's pool chemistry

My friend has a 24' x 5' deep above ground pool. He just opened it up and I told him to let me test the water and then use the BBB method to get things right. He mentioned that last fall he put in some type of pool antifreeze for the winter.

Here are the values:
    pH 8.2 (8.3)
    TA 380!!!!!
    CYA 0
    FC 0

Why would the TA be so high? Do I need to lower it with muriatic and then aerate to lower the TA? Is this high of a TA OK and I just leave it alone? Any help greatly appreciated.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Trying to fix my friend's pool chemistry

Welcome to TFP!

Friends pool huh? That is what they all say

High TA is the lowest priority thing to worry about. Focus on the CYA and FC. You might want to add 10ppm of FC, and then test the FC and CC about 30 minutes later and report back.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks. It's actually my brother-in-law's pool. I've been using bbb for the past three years and my pool sparkles! I'm trying to pull him over from the dark side! So does the high TA just mean that more acid/base will be required to achieve a change in pH (ie the pool is EXTREMWLY buffered)?

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, pH will rise fast and it will require a lot of acid to get TA down. Get it clear first.

Start with 10 ppm FC. Make a lap around the pool with the brush and recheck FC & CC after 30 minutes. If all the FC is gone and CC is high, you have ammonia. If so, break it down with bleach until it retains some FC and then proceed with adding 30 CYA and SLAM at 12 FC. If not, add the CYA and proceed just the same.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Try to get the pH down to 7.2 before raising the FC above 10ppm.
    17,100 Gal 27' x 52" AGP steel wall vinyl; 44gpm Cooper sand filter; Hayward 1hp sp1580 single-speed; 1.5" plumbing, 1 skimmer/jet, inline chlorinator.
    Chlorine / CYA Chart | SLAM Process | Chlorine cost/fl. oz calculator

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks guys. I'll let u know how it goes. Love this site!