New to forum, old pool

FTKD

Jun 27, 2015
Valley Springs, SD
Greetings folks of TFP! I am the second generation operator of a true DIY pool. 25' x 48" plywood construction, sand bottom, lined pool built in 1990 by my dad. He crafted this engineering marvel after we had several above ground kit systems cave in or go to heck and it's been standing proud ever since. Now that the maintenance of it has come on to my plate, I am searching for updated methods of filtration, chem treatment, etc. I imagine that a lot has changed in 25 years and I look forward to drawing on the knowledge of the forum.

Welcome to TFP!

One place to start here is by investing in a recommended test kit such as the TF 100 linked in my signature.

Also start reading in Pool School. Especially the ABC's of a pool Water Chemistry and recommended levels.

Familiarize yourself with the Chlorine/CYA chart also in a Pool School. Pool Math is your friend to help you determine how much of what to add.

Hello FTKD, and welcome to TFP! We're here to make your pool care easier. S0 here's a few simple suggestions:
- The proper test kit (i.e. TF-100 – link below) is the foundation of your pool care. Why this kit? We've learned through personal experience that you cannot reply on pool store testing, test strips, or simple over-the-counter kits. They simply do not read Free Chlorine (FC) or Cyanuric Acid (CYA) levels accurately or to the high levels we need. If you do not have a TF-100 or Taylor K2006 test kit, it should be your #1 priority.
- Golden rule - Avoid the pool store for testing, advice, or products. You simply won’t get the advice/service you deserve and you will waste money on products your pool doesn’t need. Do not add anything to your pool other than what is advocated by the TFP site or its experts. You’ll have a happier pool, spend less time maintaining your pool, and probably save some $$ in the process. The following are short articles from this site that you will see linked in my signature below: Pool School, Recommended Levels (for YOUR pool), PoolMath Calculator, SLAM, and the Chlorine/CYA Chart.
- Also, please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later.

That said ... welcome!