Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: is 123 therms usage consider high for NG?

1. Back To Top    #1

is 123 therms usage consider high for NG?

I'm trying to figure out what's usage the bulk of our Natural gas bill. The only thing in our household that uses NG is the pool heater and the hot water heater and furnace. But the furnace isn't running this time of year so I've boiled it down to the other two.

I'm constantly hitting tier 2 on my gas bill. We're paying over $200 a month on natural gas. My water heater is 16 years old and is going to be replace soon. My pool heater is only on occassionally. I have a solar blanket and my heater only runs maybe a week combined of the month. I find it hard to believe that the pool heater cost over $100 to operate over a week period. It's also harder to believe that my hot water heater too cost over $100 a month to operate. Usually when one or the other is running, I can go to my mains and hear gas hissing through and when it isn't then it's quiet.
    SF Bay

********20,000 gallon IG Fiberglass, DE Filter, Hayward Max-Flo VS, Taylor TF-100 Test, Circupool RJ-45********

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: is 123 therms usage consider high for NG?

What BTU size is the pool heater? figure 1 therm/hour per 100,000BTU of heater size.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

3. Back To Top    #3

123 Therms per month (I assume you are talking about one month) is around 4 per day and that is not high if you are heating your pool even a little bit. When we heat our 16,000 gallon pool with gas, it uses way more than that. During the winter, just the pool alone is around 12 Therms/day (360 per month), but that's with a non-insulating electric safety cover. With a bubble-type cover it might be half to two-thirds that much. During spring or fall it would be substantially lower in usage so your number sounds quite normal. Fortunately the weather now allows for solar only so that we're no longer using gas and probably won't need to again until October (usually it's mostly solar in June to September with May being iffy needing gas depending on the year, but we keep our pool warm at 88F).

Our gas usage during the summer so no gas pool heating and no gas air heat in the house is around 1.0 to 2.0 Therms per day which is for only the water heater, gas dryer, stovetop and oven.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

4. Back To Top    #4

Heater is 44k btu. When u say 12 therms a day, thats 1 full day continuous?

SF Bay

********20,000 gallon IG Fiberglass, DE Filter, Hayward Max-Flo VS, Taylor TF-100 Test, Circupool RJ-45********

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by dannieboiz View Post
    Heater is 44k btu. When u say 12 therms a day, thats 1 full day continuous?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
    Are you sure on that size? that size heater on your pool at 100% efficiency could only manage to heat the pool at 1 deg/4 hrs. At 80% (which is likely) it would take at least 5 hrs to get 1 deg.

If so, I can see the heater on all day to keep the heat up.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

6. Back To Top    #6

I don't know how I came up with 44k lol its a raypak p-r266a-en-c 266k btu

7. Back To Top    #7

That's better 266,000 BTU/hr. 20,000 gallons is around 167,000 pounds of water so that would be 266,000/167,000 = 1.6F per hour though it will be less than that since the heater is not 100% efficient. The heater usage would be 2.66 Therms per hour so you can see you don't have to run it very long to add to your regular gas usage and get to 4 per day.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"