Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pool owner...HEEELLLP lol

1. Back To Top    #1

New pool owner...HEEELLLP lol

Ok so bare with me as I am trying to learn the ins and outs here.....I have read my guts out, but am still perplexed...

So last night and then right now, I tested....with the dunk strip

FC 3 and .5
    PH 6.8 both
    TA 120...but kinda dark so maybe 140..
    and Hardness is out of the park 1000....we are in Utah and unless I truck in water, I dont think this will ever be fixed...

I shocked yesterday, and turned off my SWG...(but with how fast it calcifies might not really work that well??)

Maybe thats the reason the FC dropped??

Also the pool is kinda cloudy, I can still see the bottom, and across, but it is hazy looking..

16X48....and been up since Mon, but the kids now back, have swam like crazy the last 3 days...

Would a sand filter be huge upgrade over the paper?? maybe help with the cloudy

My TA was 180-200 before I added shock.....but still no clear up of cloudy

Sigh, feel like I am chasing my tail here....

Oh and ran the filter all night as well

Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pool owner...HEEELLLP lol

Welcome to TFP!

A few things - all of the things you are describing are chemistry problems, not filtration issues.

You need one of the recommended test kits as test strips don't cut it.

We don't know what your CYA level is, so I can't say if your FC is too low but I'm guessing it is.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Do you happen to have a link to the page that's shows which ones...

I am out and about for a while but can check it on my phone...

4. Back To Top    #4

I use the TF100 from TFTestkits.net

Here is the test kit comparison: Pool School - Test Kits Compared
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Yea, I usually give links, but I'm on a portable for the weekend also.

Yes, the TF100 is the best value.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

6. Back To Top    #6

Ditch the strips, they're junk. Get the TF100, get some reliable results and post them here. It seems expensive, but it will likely last for years (if you store it right), and you won't waste time and money chasing your tail. We'll tell you what you need to do.

Welcome to TFP!
    Pool/Equipment: 20'x52" round Intex Ultra Frame AGP (~8,800 gallons)--Intex SWCG (CG-28669, 15K gallon model)--Intex Sand Filter Pump (SF60110, 16", 120lbs sand, 3K gph)--Hayward SP1091LX Through-Wall Skimmer--Hard Plumbing--Taylor K-1766 Salt Test Kit--TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Compared to a trip to the pool store the TF100 is cheap!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

Get the TF100 and the speed stirrer. You'll love that bad boy!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

9. Back To Top    #9

Ok so being the impatient person i am....i tried out the cheapy tester kit (2 columns for CL and PH) and it came out as follows

CL uhhh 0 no color at all
    PH 8.2 maybe higher, it stayed pretty pink again

Sooooo reading around, I found for my 16x48 I needed roughly 3 cups of Bleach to start out....dumped it in

45 min later.....still pretty hazy, a little clearer, but not much.....

some hyrdrochloric acid, again reading around, about a pint.........

10 min walking around the yard checking garden stuffs...

SHA FREAKING ZAM!!!!!! CLEAR CLEAR CLEAR.....

So i will leave the pump running again tonight, and check levels in the morning..

So far no growth Test kit just ordered, soooo hopefully by end of week itll be here.....