You do need to be accurate on the sample size. The powder can make a difference if you don't have enough. Oops I see you have the Taylor 2006 kit, I'm not sure if that works the same as the TF-100. The Speed Stir may help you get more consistent results.

Yes, take the screws out of the bezel and the sealed light housing will come out. There should be enough cord wrapped up behind it to move it to the side of the pool.

Why are you posting 3 FC results?

Post last night's FC (which begins the OCLT), and then post this AM's results. Then you know if you pass/fail.

FC NEVER goes up unless you add it to your pool.

Just did 2 tests again,

got FC 23.5 both times, CC 0
PH 7.4
TA 70

So in terms of confidence of testing , looks like last night's at 26.5 both tests and just now at 23.5 both tests, are consistent.

Sun have been on pool about 3.5 hours. so that is probably about right.

I have no idea why tests have discrepancies when I am using a syringe to measure to the nearest 10th of a ml

I cannot be the only person who sees this. Or maybe others only test once so do not even know how accurate results are?

Just did 2 tests again,

got FC 23.5 both times, CC 0
PH 7.4
TA 70

So in terms of confidence of testing , looks like last night's at 26.5 both tests and just now at 23.5 both tests, are consistent.

Sun have been on pool about 3.5 hours. so that is probably about right.

I have no idea why tests have discrepancies when I am using a syringe to measure to the nearest 10th of a ml

I cannot be the only person who sees this. Or maybe others only test once so do not even know how accurate results are?

your probably right most only test once, also, 1 drop off will give you differant numbers..... 23, 24, you have a phone call, hold on im counting, 24, 25 :)

I only test once. If you passed all three criteria of the SLAM then yes, leave SWG off and let FC drop to your normal number and resume regular maintenance.

I only test once. If you passed all three criteria of the SLAM then yes, leave SWG off and let FC drop to your normal number and resume regular maintenance.

But how do you trust that one-off reading? Have you ever tried testing twice / three times just to see if there is a discrepancy ?

The point is , if the testing is not accurate - i.e. consistent results on same sample , then you really do not know if you have genuinely passed the test.

- - - Updated - - -

I think I will let it drop down to fc 7 - where I would like it to operate at , and then do overnight test , as the margin for test error is a lot smaller.

- - - Updated - - -

glad I have 26oz refill of the FC test agent arriving tomorrow :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
LOL, yep you're gonna need it testing three times! :)

Nope, never tested twice. Except CYA, I usually dump that back and forth a few times, same sample though. Do you have a speed stir? I think that plus consistent drops holding the bottle upside down are the two best things you can do toward test accuracy.

That and don't let algae grow in your pool so you don't have to SLAM! :-D

Here's a few pointers on getting your results refined.

1. measure the sample size accurately. 10 ml and 11 ml is not the same. It takes just a little practice because of the curved meniscus but simply be consistent.....that's the key.

2. HOLD THE DROPPER BOTTLE VERY VERTICAL The size of the hole in the dropper tip makes virtually no difference in the size of the drop. The drop is formed by clinging to the outside surface of the rounded dropper tip.
As you continually squeeze out fluid, gravity takes over and the drop, perfectly and consistently formed, FALLS from the tip......FALLS from the tip.

3. Carry the test to the endpoint. The endpoint of any drops based test is when the last drop you add makes no further change to the test solution. So, if your color starts to change.....keep dropping. If it looks like the change is complete.....keep dropping.
It is only when that last drop makes absolutely no further change that your test is complete.

4. Now, do the math. Subtract that last drop that made no further change from your total drops. The remainder of your drops is what you use to determine the results of your test.

Make sense?

LOL, yep you're gonna need it testing three times! :)

Nope, never tested twice. Except CYA, I usually dump that back and forth a few times, same sample though. Do you have a speed stir? I think that plus consistent drops holding the bottle upside down are the two best things you can do toward test accuracy.

That and don't let algae grow in your pool so you don't have to SLAM! :-D

Makes sense - although again, hard to exactly control each drop size, I guess.

I have taken over my pool from a pool company, as my little girl had surgery and will have 8 months of open wounds on her leg , and pool for physical therapy is awesome, but I wanted to check pool first. Turned out that they were just dropping a couple of big tablets of CL in my SWG pool. When I did initial pool store testing, salt was at 2100, Aquabrite PCB was not working, CYA was at 20 , PH was at 8+ , Calcium was at 80 . I then found this place , and got my own test kit, and am now rectifying what the pool person said PLUS what the pool shop told me and sold me !

The discrepancy in the testing is killing me though. How can I possibly accurately do an overnight if I get a 3-4ppm swing on same sample , using same technique , in order to measure to 1ppm accuracy?

Just had a big storm - probably 3 inches of rain , as I am new to this whole thing, I do not even know what the Florida rainy season will do to my pool / reading and how to deal with it yet lol

- - - Updated - - -

6/29/15

4.20 pm
FC - 17.5 and 19
CC - 0

So, about a 3-4 drop in 5 hours of full-on sunlight , does that sound normal or does it indicate organics still there ? Yes, I know I need to still pass the overnight with consistent results, but just wondering if it seems like I might be nearly there.
thx

That is still a little high, we're probably looking for 3-4 a day. Is your water clear? What does it do when you brush? Cloud up? What kind of filter do you have? Don't know what a P90 is. Is the filter clogging quickly?

Water therapy is great. We can definitely get your pool under control and un-pool stored. You will get it all figured out. It seems like a lot to take in at first but it is really very simple once you understand it.

Water is crystal clear- I can literally see a 1mm piece of leaf from poolside at 6 foot deep end. Filter is just standard cartridge from Leslie's Pools. It rarely get much in it because of the pool screen. Gets a slight light brown coating near the top each week , which washes away easily with hose.

6/30/15
6.15 am

fc - 15
cc - 0

Can't do second test as ran out of agent ! Looking much better , will run SWG as normal today and do another night test.

Why would a test not be repeatably accurate?

Each time, the pool sample is the same. Each time, you are using the same reagent. Each time you are using the same dropper tip.

So what is the variable? It's you. Your technique is the inconsistency and, as you gain experience, you will sharpen your technique and get consistent repeatable results.

6/30/15
5.15 pm

FC 19, 19
cc - 0
ph 7.6
CYA 70
TA 80
CH 450.

It has gone up 4 ppm, in 7 hrs , `with SWG set to 50%. based on all my daily test results over last 60 days, this is probably about right. (way better than losing 1ppm in 12 hrs with it set to 85% !)

Will do overnight again tonight.

Getting there

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.