Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: My SLAM

1. Back To Top    #1

My SLAM

So last night, I dropped from FC 6 to 1ppm at 10am this morning. Cannot delay the SLAM any longer.
    Wanted to keep a record here to make sure experts can help me do it right:

6/27/15
    10am
    FC 1
    CC 0
    PH 7.2
    CH 450
    CYA 65/70

10.20am
    Added 363 oz publix brand bleach

1100 am
    FC 23
    CC 00

Added 90oz bleach

As a side note, as I have never been sure of pool size, can I use this as a way of accurately calculating pool size as xxx of CL with raise xxx of water by xxx? So if I went from 1ppm to 23 ppm with 363 oz of 8% bleach, does that not equate to 11,000 gallons , instead of the 12,000 I have been working to thus far in my pool journey?

thx
    12k SWG pool, free form. 1HP flotec pump, P90 Leslie's filter. Florida. Taylor 2006 test kit. I think plaster, waiting verification from here.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: My SLAM

Unfortunately, bleach strength can vary a lot regardless of what the label says. Sometimes it's overstrength to allow for losses in storage. Sometimes it hasn't been stored well and for too long and it's weak. So it won't be accurate. However... if you're constantly overshooting, then the pol is probably smaller than you think and you should reduce the volume in poolmath. If you're constantly undershooting then it's bigger than you think and you should increase the volume in poolmath.

Once the SLAM is done and you have a few weeks of normal maintenance, you'll be better able to finetune it based on FC additions and pH adjustments and TA drop.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

27/6/15
    11.40am

FC 29.5
    CC 0
    12k SWG pool, free form. 1HP flotec pump, P90 Leslie's filter. Florida. Taylor 2006 test kit. I think plaster, waiting verification from here.

4. Back To Top    #4

27/6/15

2pm
    FC 28
    CC 0

For you experienced people, are these initial findings showing anything. I presume a 1.5 drop in 2.5 hours in sunlight is not too bad? CC is still zero and water is still perfectly clear.
    Should I add bleach to get it back up to 29.5 or leave it at the 28 mark seeing as that is 3 ppm over chart recommendation anyway? thx

5. Back To Top    #5

If you are still actively SLAMming, then yes, keep it at your SLAM FC level until you are sure you've passed all 3 SLAM criteria:
    1. Water is clear
    2. You do not lose any more than 1ppm of FC overnight (that's the OCLT)
    3. CC (Combined Chlorine) is <.5
    So it looks like you still need to keep going until you pass the overnight portion.

As for how much loss during the day is acceptable, that might vary based on a variety of factors. At your rate noted above, after 8 hours you might lose 4.5 ppm. With a CYA as high as your was listed (60/70) it looks like your bleach might still be fighting a few more organic materials ... along with the FL sunshine. Stay with it today and see how your overnight test (drop) comes-out.

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like you are very close!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

Is it ok for the kids to go swimming for a couple of hours between tests? thx

7. Back To Top    #7

Not if the FC is above shock level.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

As long as you can see the bottom, and the FC is below slam level, then its safe to swim in it.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

9. Back To Top    #9

ok, thanks. Shock level is a bit abstract as it is based on CYA and that test is VERY inaccurate. So CYA is 65-75 , so shock level is 24 to 30 and I am tracking mid range of those at about 27. So, in my specific case, can I let them swim, thx ?

10. Back To Top    #10

6/27/15
    3.50pm

FC 24
    CC 0
    PH 7.4

So now at the lowest end of safe , so will let them go swimming for hour or so. I will then add bleach and bump it a bit to 28, to take it to the high end of the possible range. That makes sense, right?

thanks for ongoing help.

Will make support payment later.

cheers

11. Back To Top    #11

added 68oz bleach.

12. Back To Top    #12

Doing well. Keep it up. Maintaining is the most frustrating part and it's easy to get impatient. Especially in the summer when everyone wants to swim. Post an overnight loss test in the morning to see if you held your FC overnight.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

13. Back To Top    #13

Will do , thx.

With the overnight, do you test before direct sunlight ( 9.15 am for me) or at sunrise ( 6.25 am) . At I did it about 7.30 an last time and there was reflective sunlight on pool but not direct . Thx

14. Back To Top    #14

Certainly before the sun hits the pool, the earlier the better.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

15. Back To Top    #15

6/27/15
    7pm

FC 28
    CC under .5

Will be dark in about 1.5 hours so will start OCLT at 8.30 pm.

16. Back To Top    #16

6/27/15
    8.40 pm

FC - 26.5
    CC - 0

Should I leave that reading for my night test, or raise FC to 28 first?

17. Back To Top    #17

That level is fine.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

18. Back To Top    #18

Ah, made a command decision so I get to forget it all until 6am alarm. Added 26 oz bleach . Will do last test in 30 mins.

I lost 1.5 ppm between 7pm and 8.40pm, so I am guessing I will lose about 4 ppm with no sun overnight. Be interesting to see how close I am with guess.

19. Back To Top    #19

6/27/15

9.30 pm
    FC 33
    CC 0

Really odd how pool calc said raising 26.5 to 28 was 26 oz of 8% for 11k gallon pool.
    Yet it went up to 33 , any ideas why such a massive discrepancy ?
    If you work it the other way round on the calculator, it should take 111oz to raise 26.5 to 33. Very odd , eh ?

20. Back To Top    #20

Make sure you're up and pool side before the sun comes up.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast