Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How high can my cya be?!

1. Back To Top    #1

Unhappy How high can my cya be?!

Hey all
    new to this site and for the last 5 years I've been dumping Diclor in my pool. Well, this year I haven't been able to get it under control. I wonder why? Lol . Any way i got my test kit, recommended here and tested water . It was literally off the charts. No problem, I thought, I knew it would be high
    ive been doing a countinious water change for the last 48 hours at a rate of 4gpm.i can't see any change in my test results. Was my cya at 1000?!
    Btw my pool is 22500 gallons as calculated
    Help!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How high can my cya be?!

It very well could have been at 1000. We keep our pools "open" year-round here. Read the blue text

Organic Contaminants
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

Keep going! We've seen some high CYA for sure. 400, 600, 800, sooner or later it will get into range.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks
    i assume that since my test kit says to use 7ml of pool water and 7ml of test fluid I can use equal amounts of water and fluids in any equal proportion? Otherwise my test fluid will be gone before I reach proper levels!

5. Back To Top    #5

Don't know about using less water and less chemical.

But, you can do the diluted test to extend your test range to 200. Read post number 8 in this thread:
    Extended Test Kit Directions
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

hi mayjong, if you know its above 100, you only need enough enough volume of liquid to reach the 100 mark. theres no use using enough volume to fill the vial to 20 if you cant see the dot at 100
    32,000L Fibreglass Leisure Pools IG 12.5'x23'x5' Pump: AstralPools BX1 1.0HP
    Filter: AstralPools ZX-310 SWCG: AstralPools VX7T
    Heater: Hayward H250FDN Test Kit: TF-100

7. Back To Top    #7

Sounds like you need a CYA test refill, TFTestkits.net. You can also do a search to see if anyone has it near you.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks to all
    still running a continuous water change. About 4 gallons per hour. Finally seeing some movement in my tests. At this point I figured cya was in the high 100s. Maybe even more. I think I have about another 48 hours of pumping and filling.
    So- when done what is the next parameter to attack?
    thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Btw- when all done I figure I will have done an almost complete water change

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

With all that water exchange I would think there is no way you have adequate chlorine in that pool, and that needs to be addressed.

I'm assuming you stopped using the Dichlor 3 days ago, how have you been maintaining FC, and what is the current FC & CC level.

You will most likely need to SLAM the pool to kill off any algae that has started to bloom.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...tain-shockingl

Before you do anything post a full set of test results (FC, CC, pH, CYA, CH & TA).

Please add all your pool details to your signature so we can accurately help you.

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

+1 on Dom's question about maintaining FC. Chlorine must be maintained above the minimum at all times based on the Chlorine CYA Chart
    TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

Okay
    fc 7
    cc 0
    ph 7.2
    ta 120
    ch 210
    cya 90-100

looks like my ph is a bit low and the obvious cya issue. Otherwise looks ok?
    i'll add a bit of chlorine and keep water changing. Water is crystal clear.
    22500gallon plaster pool, white bottom
    hayward 1.5hp pump,Hayward swim clear cartridge filter.

12. Back To Top    #12

FC is too low. Minimum is the number it should never drop below, ever. Target is what it should be all of the time. Chlorine CYA Chart
    TFP Moderator

13. Back To Top    #13

Understood. I added3/4 gallons chlorine. At this point, I'm going to wait a few days and see where cya settles. Plus I'm waiting for the cya test regent I ordered!

- - - Updated - - -

Any suggestions on a dairy chlorine dose for my size pool? Is there a rule of thumb
    22500gallon plaster pool, white bottom
    hayward 1.5hp pump,Hayward swim clear cartridge filter.

14. Back To Top    #14

You can use PoolMath to determine your FC range for your pool. Enter current test results in the "now" column, desired result in the "target" column and hit calculate. Be sure to complete details for pool size and type at the bottom of the poolmath page. This will also be where you see your FC range.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by Mayjong View Post
    Understood. I added3/4 gallons chlorine. At this point, I'm going to wait a few days and see where cya settles. Plus I'm waiting for the cya test regent I ordered!

- - - Updated - - -

Any suggestions on a dairy chlorine dose for my size pool? Is there a rule of thumb
    2-4ppm is a standard range of daily chlorine consumption.
    TFP Moderator

16. Back To Top    #16

Every pool is different and sun, high heat, bathers, and organic material will all cause fc to drop. Some days I lose 1 ppm some I lose 4, just depends on what's happening that day. After using liquid chlorine for a while you'll get a feel for your pools needs and can probably guess what to put in. Stay at target not the minimum, as long as you're below shock level it's safe to swim.
    Inground 13,200 gal Vinyl, Pentair 3/4 hp pump, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Polaris 280

Pool School, Pool Math, CYA to FC ratio chart, Testing Kits