Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New to pools

1. Back To Top    #1

Angry New to pools

Hey everyone, my wife and I against my wishes moved into a house with a pool this spring. It has been a non-stop headache to get it going and since my wife is pregnant she can't really help with most of it, lifting and chemicals and all, I'm am doing it by myself or trying to lol... I finally got a pretty good grasp on it now but could use some pointers here and there. It is fun to float around when the suns out just getting frustrated with all the repairs.
    Laars Lite 2 Pool/Spa Heater w/ electric element (no pilot)
    28,000 gal in ground Chlorine pool

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: New to pools

A finicky pool is good practice for impending fatherhood.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

LOL! Yeah, you think that pool is a lot of work??? HA!

Welcome to TFP!

Once you get it figured out and under control TFPC maintenance is quick, easy, cheap and effective. It just takes some time and practice to get it figured out.

Do you have one of the Recommended Test Kits? I use the TF100 from

Here are some of my fave Pool School articles to get you started
    TFPC for Beginners
    ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Here are the Recommended Levels for your pool.
    Here are the Recommended Pool Chemicals and how to add them.
    Use PoolMath to figure out how much to add.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4
    DFW, Texas

Welcome to the forum.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

5. Back To Top    #5
    SW PA

Welcome. Congrats on your new bundle yet to arrive!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter