Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Which Stabilizer is best?

1. Back To Top    #1

Which Stabilizer is best?

Hello again, I believe I fixed my signature so it should now show my info! I have won the battle with my levels...I believe. ..now I just need to add some stabilizer, the pool calculator let me know this! That site is amazing by the way and so is this one....Thank you for helping this new pool owner learn about the best ways to maintain my pool! I am heading to Walmart today to pick up some stabilizer but I don't know which one is best...any suggestions for this newbie?
    15'x36", 3300gal, AG, RX600 Filter System, RX600 Pump type, using a hth 6-way test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Which Stabilizer is best?

You can get the HTH brand with the purple cap.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

I think they only have one. I have seen the Clorox brand and the My Salt Pool brand at different stores.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

As long as the label shows it as 99 or 100% Cyanuric acid, it's the right stuff.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Hi MissLaci,

Walmart carries the HTH brand of Stabilizer & Conditioner - granular type. Thats what I use. It comes in a 4 lb jug.
    If not seen any other brand of stabilizer that they carry (at least not in my store).

If you look at the ingredients on the jug, it should say 95 % or higher, cyanauric acid.

There are liquid ones too, but they are expensive and not a good value vs the granular.

Hope this helps,
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

6. Back To Top    #6

That is weird. I would think WalMart would only have one supplier but looking at responses they must do things differently regionally.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks guys! I will let you know which one I get and then I will post the results. I should have started with my cya but I didn't and let's just say I have been having a hard time keeping my fc up in the right range!
    15'x36", 3300gal, AG, RX600 Filter System, RX600 Pump type, using a hth 6-way test kit.

8. Back To Top    #8

But you learned something new! The stabilizer does really help and I get mine from wal-mart too.
    26,000 IG, pebble tec, flagstone, pentair Triton II TR100 sand filter & VS+SVRS 3hp multi-speed pump, Intellichlor IC-40 SWG, Pentair Booster Cleaner, spillover spa, waterfall, Taylor K-2006 testkit
    [It is better to know how to learn, than to know. - Dr. Seuss[/I]

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Walmart used to carry the HTH brand. They now carry Clorox. Some still have HTH stuff from the last few years so they're selling that first.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir