How to gauge proper START/CLEAN DE Filter settings with a variable speed pump?

Jul 25, 2010
North Bergen, NJ
Folks,

I have a Pentair FNS PLus 48 DE Filter....

My understanding is that you should measure your flow rate pressure on the top gauge then set(rotate) the Start Dial to that pressure, this will automatically determine the Clean Setting which is approx an increase of 10PSI.

I get all this....but whenever I switch to a different speed, (higher) it usually increases the pressure, throwing my START/CLEAN targets out of whack. How do you all approach this?

Should I only concern myself with the normal operating pump speed pressure (this is the speed that I am currently running at most of the day, 1700RPM for approx 12hrs) I will also have my booster pump running at 2200rpm 2hrs a day to run my pressure side Kreepy Krawler Racer cleaner. And I will also randomly run my pump a few hrs a day at 3100RPM to increase circulation and aeration when needed.

I just want to make sure Im doing this right and really understand when my Filter needs a back washing....thnx

Just pick a setting and use that as your baseline. Then when it goes up 25%, backwash. High speed will show the higher pressure, which will make it easier to see 25% rise. Only use the start pointer, ignore the higher one.

I have a single speed pump. Because of all the vagaries of flow curves and head loss and all that stuff, I get different clean pressure readings whether I'm on pool in-pool out, pool in-blend out, blend in-blend out, or spa in-spa out. So I take my baseline reading in the usual position. In my particular case, that's 16psi. That's where that ring sits. It's just a reminder. I can see the flow reducing when it gets near 20. If I waited for it to go all the way until that gauge ring said it was time at 26 psi, I'd have no flow!

Ok I think I got it....Thanks Richard!

so basically, what I should do is:

1-Capture the baseline PSI of each of my commonly used Speed Settings, and just use that as my starting point
2-If any of these starting points increase pressure in the 25% range, I should just backwash

Do I have that correct?.....I guess its safe to assume, that if any of my speed settings increase by 25%, they should all increase by 25% equally if its dirty filter in need of backwashing...correct?

I shouldnt expect 1 setting to be increasing by 25% while the others are fine otherwise that could be an entirely different issue?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.