Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TazMaster

1. Back To Top    #1

TazMaster

Hello all,

Glad to have found this site. I moved into a home with a AG pool 2 years ago in May and the first year the pool was great but I didn't cover it or anything for the winter. Needless to say last year it was a disaster when we tried to get it ready to use. After a couple of months of trying to get it clean the pool store told us to drain it down to about a foot and start over, sounded good to me, so that is what we did. Of course the first thing we noticed after filling it was lots and lots of wrinkles. So we spent more time trying to get them out and mostly ignored the water chemistry. When all was said and done we had no swim season and a really horrible pool, so we covered it and that was that.

This year we debated having the liner replaced and starting fresh but decided to just cleanup the green slimy pond and hope we could end up with a swimmable pool and worry about the liner only if there were leaks. So far I’ve been working on it since the first week of May. We bought a new pump and filter (the old pump was sucking a lot of air) and tons of chemicals from the pool store. It seems like things would never level out and the pool would not clear up.

A couple of weeks ago I found TFP and started reading some posts. After making some of my chemical purchases and use based on what I had read I finally have a nearly clear and ready to swim in pool. I’ve yet to buy the proper test kit, I have a cheap 5 test kit, but am comparing two different pool store results to get the readings I’m missing. My last test results were:

FC – 10
    TC – 10
    pH – 7.4
    TA – 140
    CH – 270
    CYA – 60

Thank you for the forum and all the help,
    Adam
    Adam Grass Valley, California
    I’m a Swimming Pool NOOB just trying to get it right. The TFPC way!
    Above Ground 15' x 30’ x3.5’ (10,500 gal.) Oval Pool, No SWG, SandPRO 75 (75 lb. Sand Filter, ¾ HP 2330 GPH @ 6 psi Pump)
    36 percent water reduction restrictions. Lots of sun, leaves and pine needles.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: TazMaster

Welcome Adam. Sounds like you're on your way...

P.S. Save yourself the time and gas money and buy the kit. I believe you can purchase the TF100 from PoolSupplyWorld.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

Tanks Casey
    Adam Grass Valley, California
    I’m a Swimming Pool NOOB just trying to get it right. The TFPC way!
    Above Ground 15' x 30’ x3.5’ (10,500 gal.) Oval Pool, No SWG, SandPRO 75 (75 lb. Sand Filter, ¾ HP 2330 GPH @ 6 psi Pump)
    36 percent water reduction restrictions. Lots of sun, leaves and pine needles.

4. Back To Top    #4

Casey has given you good advice. you will save aggravation staying out of the pool store and doing your own testing.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to TFP!

Here are some resources to give you an overview of managing your pool using our methods:
    1. ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
    2. Chlorine CYA Chart
    3. Recommended Pool Chemicals
    4. Recommended Levels
    5. Pool Math
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.