Planning Cement Block Pool Build

Jun 26, 2015
Hayes, VA
New to the forum and I have read many threads and can't quite get the question(s) I need answered. I am interested in building a cement block pool with slab bottom, as I would like to tile the entire pool. I am a contractor and have a thorough knowledge of block filled with concrete and rebar construction/design. My question(s) is in regards to the process after the block is installed. Should I waterproof the block and then plaster it, or should it by plastered and then waterproofed? It is my intent to use hydroban from laticrete for waterproofing unless advised otherwise. Also does the slab need to be plastered (i assume yes but not 100%)? Thanks for any advice you can provide as I'm sure there will be more questions to follow.

Scott

Probably better to ask this in the "Under Construction" subforum. Perhaps one of the mods will move it.

I don't know the answer to your question, but my understanding was that the plaster does the waterproofing. I could be wrong. Experts in the Under Construction area should be far more helpful. :)

Be sure to make electrical bonding a high priority. All the rebar, and all the ladders, light niches, and a grid extending at least 3 feet beyond the edge of the pool, should be electrically bonded. http://www.riverpoolsandspas.com/blog/bid/34682/Pool-Bonding-101-Why-Handrails-Coping-and-Water-Could-Shock-You Beyond the issue of electrocution, even tiny electric gradients in pool water can affect the inner ear, and make you lose your sense of up and down when swimming under water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.