Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I think I fried my Goldline Valve Actuator (GVA-24) for my solar heater

1. Back To Top    #1

I think I fried my Goldline Valve Actuator (GVA-24) for my solar heater

Tonight I just discovered that somehow the wire from one of the temperature sensors got wrapped around the handle of the valve actuator. As the actuator opened & closed over time (moving the handle each time), the wire got wrapped tighter & tighter until I guess it stalled the motor, leaving the valve partially open, and the 2A fuse inside the Goldline solar controller blown.

I unwrapped the wire and replaced the fuse. The controller lights came back on, but the valve actuator did not move to complete it's cycle. When I played with the toggle switch on the actuator, the fuse in the controller blew again. I opened up the actuator - smelled a lot like cooked electronics. One of the capacitor(?) wires promptly fell out of the end of the capacitor.

So... wondering where I go from here. Can anybody help me troubleshoot this? Is there any way to test to see if the motor is fried before I go to more trouble here?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Steve
    29,000 gal. vinyl in-ground mountain lake (freeform); Hayward DE filter, 2 skimmers, AutoPilot SWG, 2 - 4 X 20 Fafco Solar Bears with Goldline control, Aquabot, LoopLoc winter cover, Pool installed March 2009...

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I think I fried my Goldline Valve Actuator (GVA-24) for my solar heater

Steve, I can't help but someone should be able to here shortly.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Re: I think I fried my Goldline Valve Actuator (GVA-24) for my solar heater

Its probably dead. Been there, had that happen. Handle got jammed and the motor burned up. It's only 24v and not able to take a lot of resistance. Sorry, sounds like such a fluke thing.