Loud neighbours what to do....

I love my house, love my yard and love my street. Our house was like 300k. We back up onto farmland but kiddy corner to our backyard is a house on the crescent next door which has houses around the 200k price point. Not sure the price is relevant but thought I'd share.

Last year towards the end of summer that house sold and new owners moved in. Loud owners. He works construction and everyday after work he brings his buddies home for beers and they drink and swear in the backyard. I have a 3 year old. Most days the one construction worker has his wife come pick him up, she brings the kids. They swear loudly in front of the kids. This happens 4 days a week. I think the 5th day they work late. Some weekends they entertain, same scenario. Loud swearing and just general loud talking and shouting. Booze=get louder the more you drink.

What do I do? They don't seem like the friendly type. I worry if I tell them to keep the swearing and yelling down that they'll just do it more. I know telling them that it bothers me as I have a 3yr old they won't care as they clearly don't care in front of there own kids. I feel like I'm at a loss. No tree or shrub is going to solve this problem.

The layout of our land equals that the sound will only really echo to me and one other neighbour who commented yes they swear a lot but not much he wanted to do. Plus he is never home.

Do I tell them and hope they listen to reason?
Do I do nothing and move?

I am literally looking at houses online....

I feel like if I tell them they might escalate as worse case scenario. If I push the envelop would i have to disclose that to potential buyers? My wife is at her wits end. She says, say nothing and lets move.

FML.

oh i feel your pain
our house has the main bedroom 10 feet off the fenceline
the neighbours entertaining area is along that fence
they are a blended marriage and he is trying to be the cool parent
they allow the now 16 yo daughter to have regular parties
this has been going for a couple of years now
nearly every friday and saturday night sometimes until 2-3 am
i have complained several times and he says they're just kids
some are 18-19yo, all drinking
twice now i have had to kick them out of my garden
i have bought a new house on acreage and will be moving soon

We did some house looking today....a realtor is coming by to appraise our property tomorrow. Just sucks that to rid myself of these people will cost me 20k. that is moving costs, land transfer on the sale, lawyers for buying and selling...etc.

I am less than pleased. My wife and I actually argued today for the first time in 2 years I think. To say this has stressed us would be an understatement.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

oh i feel your pain
our house has the main bedroom 10 feet off the fenceline
the neighbours entertaining area is along that fence
they are a blended marriage and he is trying to be the cool parent
they allow the now 16 yo daughter to have regular parties
this has been going for a couple of years now
nearly every friday and saturday night sometimes until 2-3 am
i have complained several times and he says they're just kids
some are 18-19yo, all drinking
twice now i have had to kick them out of my garden
i have bought a new house on acreage and will be moving soon

Congrats on getting free of the situation!

I am so sorry for this mess. I hate any kind of confrontation, and I do NOT handle it well. Things like that tear my guts up inside, and it never works out as I hoped. I've seen some people make it work and maybe even become friends. I don't have that magic touch.

I'm still hoping some miracle will happen, like the man will lose his job and have to move (and after he moves, he finds another job). Or maybe someone will come along and post a magic solution. Where is Dr. Phil when you need him!

But if it were me, I think I would have to do the same as you. That's a lot of money, but for peace and harmony in my life, it would be worth it. No heartache and stress is worth a marriage and quality of life. I do hold firmly that things work out for the best. It may take a while for that to become obvious, but it's always proven true for me. (or maybe I'm just deluded enough to believe it's true! LOL!!)

Oh well, all of this you already know. But I just wanted to reach out and support and encourage. I hope you guys begin to see some places that get the blood going and happy energy sparking. It might even turn into something exciting! Hoping the best for ya'll.

Suz.

Record some of it. Call him up about 4AM and play it back into the phone, LOUD.

I had an across the fence neighbor that had a dog that barked all night long. Did that to him a couple times and the barking magically ceased.

I might do the confronting part soon. I just noticed an above ground pool box on there deck...so there goes the noise factor up a notch as they have the whole clan over to swim. Funny, last year they're friends approached us about selling our house just as the neighbours bought.

I'm not asking for silence but I sure as heck wont' tolerate loud F-bombs that i can hear clearly everywhere.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Difficult situation, been there too. Here in SoCal you have to disclose neighbor problems when you sell, and that requirement prevented us from buying a place with nightmare neighbors. Feel for you, but can the new owners come back at you for this?

Now living in a resort town surrounded with homes that are rented out nightly. Can be tough on everyone, the renters want to party and the full timers gotta sleep. We got together and started a 'call out group'. Code says quiet after 10PM, so we agreed to all call the police at 12AM on the dot every time it occurred, amazing that patrols increased and problems decreased.

You do have to disclose if you escalate to legal I believe in Canada. The neighbours beside us have offered to help us and speak to the other loud neighbour to help make it a voice. But frankly I don't think it will matter. I am normally not a pessimist but in this situation I see no upside. Some people are just different. Some are lou and some are quiet. Let me tell you something, I went and looked at one house for sale right now and I went and knocked on both neighbours doors to meet them! Both were nice.

Since note. I am looking max 450k, that is with a pool. Or max 400k without a pool assuming 50k to put one in.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.