Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loud neighbours what to do....

1. Back To Top    #1

Loud neighbours what to do....

I love my house, love my yard and love my street. Our house was like 300k. We back up onto farmland but kiddy corner to our backyard is a house on the crescent next door which has houses around the 200k price point. Not sure the price is relevant but thought I'd share.

Last year towards the end of summer that house sold and new owners moved in. Loud owners. He works construction and everyday after work he brings his buddies home for beers and they drink and swear in the backyard. I have a 3 year old. Most days the one construction worker has his wife come pick him up, she brings the kids. They swear loudly in front of the kids. This happens 4 days a week. I think the 5th day they work late. Some weekends they entertain, same scenario. Loud swearing and just general loud talking and shouting. Booze=get louder the more you drink.

What do I do? They don't seem like the friendly type. I worry if I tell them to keep the swearing and yelling down that they'll just do it more. I know telling them that it bothers me as I have a 3yr old they won't care as they clearly don't care in front of there own kids. I feel like I'm at a loss. No tree or shrub is going to solve this problem.

The layout of our land equals that the sound will only really echo to me and one other neighbour who commented yes they swear a lot but not much he wanted to do. Plus he is never home.

Do I tell them and hope they listen to reason?
    Do I do nothing and move?

I am literally looking at houses online....

I feel like if I tell them they might escalate as worse case scenario. If I push the envelop would i have to disclose that to potential buyers? My wife is at her wits end. She says, say nothing and lets move.

FML.
    16x32 Kidney Hayward Aqua Rite Salt Generator, Omnilogic, Tristar Vari Flo Sand Filter, Colour Logic LED, WFSD Waterfall, 250 BTU Millivolt, GVA-24 Valve Actuator TF-100 Test Kit
    Pool 1
    Pool 2
    my build

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Loud neighbours what to do....

If it goes on late at night, you can call the police because of the noise.

The other option is to write a letter and let them know how you feel. Just sign it with something like a few of your neighbors.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

oh i feel your pain
    our house has the main bedroom 10 feet off the fenceline
    the neighbours entertaining area is along that fence
    they are a blended marriage and he is trying to be the cool parent
    they allow the now 16 yo daughter to have regular parties
    this has been going for a couple of years now
    nearly every friday and saturday night sometimes until 2-3 am
    i have complained several times and he says they're just kids
    some are 18-19yo, all drinking
    twice now i have had to kick them out of my garden
    i have bought a new house on acreage and will be moving soon
    SWG inground peanut shaped eco-bright concrete pool
    50,000 litres 13,000 gallons
    Lincoln Salt Chlorinator, 25 gram cell Sand Filter with glass media
    Taylor K2006-C test kit, Taylor K-1766 salt test, Dolphin M500 pool cleaner
    are you taking care of your pool or is the poolshop taking care of you

4. Back To Top    #4

We did some house looking today....a realtor is coming by to appraise our property tomorrow. Just sucks that to rid myself of these people will cost me 20k. that is moving costs, land transfer on the sale, lawyers for buying and selling...etc.

I am less than pleased. My wife and I actually argued today for the first time in 2 years I think. To say this has stressed us would be an understatement.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by aussieta View Post
    oh i feel your pain
    our house has the main bedroom 10 feet off the fenceline
    the neighbours entertaining area is along that fence
    they are a blended marriage and he is trying to be the cool parent
    they allow the now 16 yo daughter to have regular parties
    this has been going for a couple of years now
    nearly every friday and saturday night sometimes until 2-3 am
    i have complained several times and he says they're just kids
    some are 18-19yo, all drinking
    twice now i have had to kick them out of my garden
    i have bought a new house on acreage and will be moving soon
    Congrats on getting free of the situation!
    16x32 Kidney Hayward Aqua Rite Salt Generator, Omnilogic, Tristar Vari Flo Sand Filter, Colour Logic LED, WFSD Waterfall, 250 BTU Millivolt, GVA-24 Valve Actuator TF-100 Test Kit
    Pool 1
    Pool 2
    my build

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

I am so sorry for this mess. I hate any kind of confrontation, and I do NOT handle it well. Things like that tear my guts up inside, and it never works out as I hoped. I've seen some people make it work and maybe even become friends. I don't have that magic touch.

I'm still hoping some miracle will happen, like the man will lose his job and have to move (and after he moves, he finds another job). Or maybe someone will come along and post a magic solution. Where is Dr. Phil when you need him!

But if it were me, I think I would have to do the same as you. That's a lot of money, but for peace and harmony in my life, it would be worth it. No heartache and stress is worth a marriage and quality of life. I do hold firmly that things work out for the best. It may take a while for that to become obvious, but it's always proven true for me. (or maybe I'm just deluded enough to believe it's true! LOL!!)

Oh well, all of this you already know. But I just wanted to reach out and support and encourage. I hope you guys begin to see some places that get the blood going and happy energy sparking. It might even turn into something exciting! Hoping the best for ya'll.

Suz.
    Suz~Cypress area~ 2015 pool build. 23K gallons. IG swcg system. 35'x18'; 573sf; 104' perim; depth 4'-7'. Bubblers, sheer descents, 7' spa. Jandy: color LEDs; 2HP 2sp pump; 1HP 2sp pump; spa pump; 580 cartridge; 400K BTU; Dolphin M500; PS8; Inline chlorinator not used; Aqua Pure 1400. Blue Granite Sheen. Travertine deck. Lightstreams Peacock Blue TF-100, K-1766, SpeedStir

6. Back To Top    #6

Record some of it. Call him up about 4AM and play it back into the phone, LOUD.

I had an across the fence neighbor that had a dog that barked all night long. Did that to him a couple times and the barking magically ceased.
    15x30 IGP; 20,000 gallons; plaster
    Hayward SP2607X10 Pump; Purex Triton Tagelus Sand Filter
    Hayward Goldline T-Cell 15 SWG; Aquarite G1 Control
    Southwest Spas 400 gallon hot tub w/ozone
    TF 100 with speed stir

7. Back To Top    #7

I know it sucks. We had the same thing with our next door neighbor. Their pool and backyard space is right on our property line. F this and F that at all hours. For years. It was way worse, but won't go into that....

8. Back To Top    #8

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

9. Back To Top    #9

I don't put up with BS. I'd confront the guy and tell him straight up. I'd make sure I had a witness and if he threatened me or assaulted me I'd take legal action.

10. Back To Top    #10

I might do the confronting part soon. I just noticed an above ground pool box on there deck...so there goes the noise factor up a notch as they have the whole clan over to swim. Funny, last year they're friends approached us about selling our house just as the neighbours bought.

I'm not asking for silence but I sure as heck wont' tolerate loud F-bombs that i can hear clearly everywhere.
    Pool 1
    Pool 2
    my build

11. Back To Top    #11

Richard,

That video was hysterical. It looks like something from SNL or SCTV!
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

12. Back To Top    #12

Realtor just left. Got a wicked appraisal...let the house shopping begin. I'll still chat to my idiot neighbours though to see if they can keep the shouting down.
    Pool 1
    Pool 2
    my build

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by supercanadian View Post
    Realtor just left. Got a wicked appraisal...let the house shopping begin. I'll still chat to my idiot neighbours though to see if they can keep the shouting down.
    That sounds exciting! The house shopping part..... Good luck! And send us pictures!
    Suz.
    Suz~Cypress area~ 2015 pool build. 23K gallons. IG swcg system. 35'x18'; 573sf; 104' perim; depth 4'-7'. Bubblers, sheer descents, 7' spa. Jandy: color LEDs; 2HP 2sp pump; 1HP 2sp pump; spa pump; 580 cartridge; 400K BTU; Dolphin M500; PS8; Inline chlorinator not used; Aqua Pure 1400. Blue Granite Sheen. Travertine deck. Lightstreams Peacock Blue TF-100, K-1766, SpeedStir

14. Back To Top    #14

In the Industry

That's a clip from a video movie/parody called Elephant Parts. The homeowner in the BBQ apron is Michael Nesmith from the Monkees.
    APSP Certified Building Professional
    APSP Certified Service Professional
    NSPF Certified Pool Operator

15. Back To Top    #15

Difficult situation, been there too. Here in SoCal you have to disclose neighbor problems when you sell, and that requirement prevented us from buying a place with nightmare neighbors. Feel for you, but can the new owners come back at you for this?

Now living in a resort town surrounded with homes that are rented out nightly. Can be tough on everyone, the renters want to party and the full timers gotta sleep. We got together and started a 'call out group'. Code says quiet after 10PM, so we agreed to all call the police at 12AM on the dot every time it occurred, amazing that patrols increased and problems decreased.
    15 K gal play pool (3.5' either end n 5.5' in middle) with attached 6 seat spa, all plaster. Built 2012. 3/4hp Pentair Whisper-Flo pump (model 177449) and a 2hp Pentair Super-Flo for spa (model 196240), Pentair Clear-Plus 350 sq ft filter (model CCP320) Master-Temp 400 gas heater. Use 16 mil blanket to control heat n evap. Live in desert, summer 114 winter 70's.

16. Back To Top    #16

You do have to disclose if you escalate to legal I believe in Canada. The neighbours beside us have offered to help us and speak to the other loud neighbour to help make it a voice. But frankly I don't think it will matter. I am normally not a pessimist but in this situation I see no upside. Some people are just different. Some are lou and some are quiet. Let me tell you something, I went and looked at one house for sale right now and I went and knocked on both neighbours doors to meet them! Both were nice.

Since note. I am looking max 450k, that is with a pool. Or max 400k without a pool assuming 50k to put one in.
    Pool 1
    Pool 2
    my build

17. Back To Top    #17

You would sell your house and move without even having a word with the guy first? Wow.

Ryan
    41' x 16' x 5' IG, 25 000 gallon, cement, tile w/epoxy grout. Overflow/negative edge style. Pentair 4048 DE, Hayward 2 hp Single Speed, Pentair 320 Auto Chlorinator, 1.5 hp Blower f/Jacuzzi, TF-100, city/well (in pool) water option. Located in Panama.

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by Inflatableman1 View Post
    You would sell your house and move without even having a word with the guy first? Wow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I guess that's the Canadian way---I sure as **** wouldn't be moving, and the neighbor would know he has a problem if it's that bad. But, I suppose not everyone is comfortable with such confrontation, so it is what it is.
    17.4k gallon IG pool with attached spa (spa itself is 730gal), Super Blue Diamondbrite plaster, Circupool SI-45+ SWG, BH/Hayward Cartridge Filter, 2hp 2speed Hayward Super II pump, , Jandy Valves, Waterway Skimmers, Rheem 400k Heater, Polaris 360 cleaner, built 2000+-, replastered June 2015, TF-100 kit---Here's my pool test reading history

19. Back To Top    #19

I'm Canadian. So not sure if it's the Canadian way.

Ryan
    41' x 16' x 5' IG, 25 000 gallon, cement, tile w/epoxy grout. Overflow/negative edge style. Pentair 4048 DE, Hayward 2 hp Single Speed, Pentair 320 Auto Chlorinator, 1.5 hp Blower f/Jacuzzi, TF-100, city/well (in pool) water option. Located in Panama.

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by Inflatableman1 View Post
    I'm Canadian. So not sure if it's the Canadian way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Then go help this guy, eh? Just kidding...but yeah, I think moving is a bit drastic.
    17.4k gallon IG pool with attached spa (spa itself is 730gal), Super Blue Diamondbrite plaster, Circupool SI-45+ SWG, BH/Hayward Cartridge Filter, 2hp 2speed Hayward Super II pump, , Jandy Valves, Waterway Skimmers, Rheem 400k Heater, Polaris 360 cleaner, built 2000+-, replastered June 2015, TF-100 kit---Here's my pool test reading history

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast