i can feel vibration from my pool pump in the middle of my house!

outdoorsgal

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 24, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
the pool pump is much louder than i thought. i am able to sense/hear it from the other side of our 1615 sq foot house and able to feel the vibration when i sit down at the dinner table. any ideas about this? someone said i might want to see if it's level. maybe that cheesy little drop-in cement pad they brought to put the pump on was not enough? or would a larger pad make the vibration worse? i read real quick about this and someone said they have silicone pads that some people put under the pumps to absorb some of the vibration. i didn't realize how much the pump would bother me inside of the house!

I am guessing that this is due to the way the pump is set on the pad. In your build, that pump had some overhang and was not entirely on the pad. My PB put in a 'plastic' pad on the heat/cool pump instead of concrete. Says it will help in damping whatever vibrations are produced.

If the vibrations are severe, you may want to install some industrial grade pads (not sure if something like that will withstand the extreme heat/sun that we have here).

Example of the plastic pad below the heat/cool pump.

jcWtuYq.jpg

No way that is right. I can hardly hear my pump when I am in my pool let alone in my house. Of course my equipment is on the other side from the house but.........to be able to feel and hear it INSIDE the house? Nope not good.

Kim

No offense, but that is real cheesy of pool builders not to pour an extra concrete pad to fit all the equipment together. With all the concrete that goes into the pool shell and decking, you'd think it would be like an extra $100 to get it done. I've seen plenty of builds with thin composite bases just sitting on uncompacted soil. I didn't know any better at the time, but I was glad that my PB accounted for an 8ft concrete pad with privacy wall already in the quote. When I asked about it, he said he wouldn't build them any other way.

As far as your build, I would move any part of the equipment pad that is touching any part of the house. I'm guessing that pad is pressed right up against it.

thx everyone for your feedback! nope, it's not touching the house. it's a good few inches from the house.
interesting: plastic pad. i wonder how that will hold up in the AZ sun. I'm curious if it helps. so heater must vibrate more than pumps if they didn't put that under the pump. i always thought the haywards were going to be louder but that's what the pb sells (same as you, i think, trbvm). yep, pump overhangs. the owner came out and we showed him and he said it wasn't a problem. now that i am experiencing the vibration and called the pb i was told that the super had some ideas and will come out next week to check it out. we'll see but in the meantime i'm gonna look up other options. i wonder how that plastic pad would work on my pump. silicone sounds like the best thing if i can find one.

You might try looking for silicone hot pads for the kitchen.

wjr75. that's the pump i wanted. :( i didn't know enough of the difference in volume due to pb saying the haywards was more quiet. NOT.
i kept hearing how loud they were at the showpools but they told me those pumps were the competetor's. i believed them but i should've looked on the pool equipment to verify and not believe the salesman. i'll keep the penair whispeflo in mind for when we need a new one. in what, 20 ys or more? too bad. glad for u, though! that's great!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
bmoreswim, maybe something like this? I wonder if it'd be thick enough. would have to buy a couple. how easy is that pump to pick up with all the pipes attached to it, anyway?
Amazon.com : Colortrak High Heat-resistant Station Mat : Hair Styling Accessories : Beauty

Colortrak High Heat-resistant Station Mat
from Colortrak
159 customer reviews
| 16 answered questions
Price: $9.49 | FREE One-Day

Protects stations from burn
Protects against temperatures up to 600F
9 inchx11 inch
Made of silicone

8 new from $8.02

interestingly, pb came out and showed me how if u move pump around it will be louder in certain positions. his plan was to cut off some backwash hose and stick it underneath until he saw an old mat for standing in front of the kitchen sink that we were throwing out. the kinds that are rubbery and soft on the feet, some of them showing your foot imprint after u step off of it. it helped. pump is still loud on high but it's much better, I'd say. glad i didn't spend a bunch of money on silicone. i'm not sure it would've done much more than the mat, other than would last much longer, probably.

My pump had been louder, inside the house, this year than in the past. It finally irritated me enough to investigate. Here, one of the pipes coming from the pump had moved ever so slightly that it was touching a pipe coming into my house. I moved it, ever so slightly (I mean not more than a strand of hair width) and no more noise inside the house. It's good and bad, now I forget it's on, not looking forward to the electric bill.
My point, to this rambling, could there be a pipe it's touching and you're hearing the vibrating in your house?

It's so interesting that people have mentioned the slightest part of a pool pipe hitting another pipe and it conducting sound. When we design dedicated soundproof theatre rooms in houses we always stress how no part of the room can physically touch the home (room inside a room design) or sound will conduct. I mean even 1 drywall screw missing a track and hitting a joist and the whole system is short circuited. Sound is rough. It is like water it will travel anywhere with least resistance.

Glad u figured out a solution. Decoupling like moving a pipe is the best. Dampening is the nest best like adding cushioning. Mass adding is also good but wouldn't work well in a pool senerio. Concrete conducts sound like crazy. Especially vibration. So it touching Nything leading to the house will short circuit u instantly.

You our guys talked about pads. And the sun. Tractor stores have pads they put in horse barns. Those pads are cheap and very thick. They will dampen sound of something on concrete with ease. They hold up to all temperatures also. We use these to build our risers on that people put their second or third row of seats on if it is built on a concrete slab. Helps decrease vibration and decouple it. Same principal would stand for anything on the pad.

Just trying to throw throw some ideas and theories out there for anyone needing help!

jm

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.