Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool clear but not crystal clear

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool clear but not crystal clear

Pool was crystal clear then all of the sudden I noticed it was clear just not crystal like it should be

Here are my most current readings

Cya-50
    FC - keeping at 7
    Ta -90
    Ch - 90
    Ph 7.8

The only big change from the last time I checked all my numbers is the ph is higher. Any suggestion? Should I SLAM?

Thanks
    20' round AG, 9,500 gal
    150 lb sparco sand filter
    1hp hayward pump
    Taylor k-2006 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool clear but not crystal clear

A SLAM certainly is a possibility. Better to knock it out early if needed. I would suggest you perform an OLCT and check/post your CC (combined Chlorine) levels. Together, those may help to confirm your suspicions.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

I have found that a higher than normal PH for my pool will take away some of the sparkle.

Lower your PH to 7.5 and run a OCLT. That should help you see what might be going on.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

My CC is currently 0 ( just tested it)

My FC is 6.5 tonight at 9:30pm, I'll post my FC for tomorrow AM.

What kind of overnight loss would I look for to SLAM? And what is that overnight loss telling me is going on?

Also should I be running 24/7 until I get the problem fixed ?

Thanks for all the help
    20' round AG, 9,500 gal
    1hp hayward pump
    Taylor k-2006 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

If your FC drops more than 1 ppm that indicates organics are in your pool and you need to SLAM the pool. During the SLAM run your filter 24/7.
    39YO 13K gallon former SWAMP/MONEY PIT, concrete bottom/Fiberglass Walls, Ecotech VS pump, Hayward Sand Filter, Dolphin DX5 Plus, Loop-Loc safety cover and YES, I have a TFT-100 test kit!

Shock Level and Maintain - CL/CYA Chart

6. Back To Top    #6

I would lower PH to 7.2-7.4 and see how that goes. My pool is a little nicer with lower PH.

Here is a write up of the OCLT, Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT), it will tell you if there is organic matter in the pool consuming chlorine.

I don't think you need to do it.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

How'd the OCLT go? We're breaking daylight n you should have already performed the test.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

8. Back To Top    #8

FC was still 6.5 this morning at 7:00
    20' round AG, 9,500 gal
    1hp hayward pump
    Taylor k-2006 test kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Maybe a filter cleaning is needed
    Inground 13,200 gal Vinyl, Pentair 3/4 hp pump, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Polaris 280

Pool School, Pool Math, CYA to FC ratio chart, Testing Kits

10. Back To Top    #10

I agree with the filter cleaning. When my DE filter got full water seemed hazy. Cleaned filter new DE and 2 days later sparkly again

If your chemistry checks out and no signs of algae for SLAM then check the filter.

22x40 mountain lake design, 24,800 Gallon, vinyl IGP. Pentair Intellipro XF 3 HP variable speed pump, STA-RITE S7MD60 Modular DE Filter, Aqua Comfort Electric Heat Pump. TF-100 test kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Sweet! Just work on your PH and see what your water looks like after that.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

12. Back To Top    #12

The sand in my filter was changed last year. I recently backwashed and my clean psi is 17 and the current psi is 18.

I'm going to lower the pH and see what that does.

Thanks for all the help and I'll update later
    20' round AG, 9,500 gal
    1hp hayward pump
    Taylor k-2006 test kit

13. Back To Top    #13

Funny as it sounds, a dirty sand filter actually works better than a clean one. I usually add Cellulose Fiber DE replacement powder to my filter after I backwash.

Check out this article in Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

14. Back To Top    #14

Yea I've heard that too, I try not to backwash too often. I've tried the de in the filter before but every time I do it the pressure rises after an hour or so and I have no return pressure back into the pool. Almost like the filter is dirty again. I wasn't adding much, about 1 cup total, but it just didn't seem right. Should I try with less de? If I see a rapid rise in pressure is that telling me my filter is catching the smaller particles?
    20' round AG, 9,500 gal
    1hp hayward pump
    Taylor k-2006 test kit

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by nuce70 View Post
    Yea I've heard that too, I try not to backwash too often. I've tried the de in the filter before but every time I do it the pressure rises after an hour or so and I have no return pressure back into the pool. Almost like the filter is dirty again. I wasn't adding much, about 1 cup total, but it just didn't seem right. Should I try with less de? If I see a rapid rise in pressure is that telling me my filter is catching the smaller particles?
    yes, you only add enough DE to get a 1psi rise in pressure.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

16. Back To Top    #16

I can tell when I need to add acid to lower the PH by almost just looking at the water. In my pool the lower PH makes a difference.
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

17. Back To Top    #17

TFP Guide

from the other posts I've read, you might only need 1/4 lb of DE. Just put in a small amount, like a few tbls., and watch your psi. Like Tim said, you are looking for a 1 psi increase.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

18. Back To Top    #18

Looks like the ph worked ... Got it down to 7.2 and this morning the water already looks better

Thanks
    20' round AG, 9,500 gal
    1hp hayward pump
    Taylor k-2006 test kit

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by nuce70 View Post
    Looks like the ph worked ... Got it down to 7.2 and this morning the water already looks better

Thanks
    Great!