Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: oneyellowbird - Why are TFP's recommended levels different

1. Back To Top    #1

Malvern, PA

oneyellowbird - Why are TFP's recommended levels different

Chem Geek - Your above Pentair IntelliChlor link shows CYA 50 - 80 PPM (page 10). I have the same Installation Guide and my booklet shows CYA 30 - 50 PPM (page 10). I have an IntelliChlor IC-40 Ver 3.02 installed 5/2013 manufactured 7/2012. Has Pentair changed their CYA recommendations? I've been holding my CYA at 40. From this thread, should I increase it to 50+ ?
    22,500 gallon w/spa; IG plaster, 20yrs, DE Filter:Purex Triton FNS Plus, model FNSP 48 (sq.ft);
    Pentair Wisperflow 2 speed 1.65 SFHP model WFDS-4; Intermatic Dial/Time Switch (DPST) model T104R;
    Heater: Sta-Rite Max-E-Therm 400 model SR400NA, Pentair Intellichlor IC-40 SWG; Pentair Intellichlor Power Center;
    1 hp booster pump to spa jets with Spa & Air Blower model 1-470-02; Polaris 380 pool cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

San Rafael, CA USA

Re: oneyellowbird - Why are TFP's recommended levels different

You are right that I see their latest manual says 30-50 ppm. I'm not sure why they made the change, but maybe it's because at their 1-3 ppm FC that algae would develop at their higher CYA level. Instead of properly changing their FC range to go to 4 ppm, they instead lowered the CYA range. That will require a higher % ontime and that will have the cell wear out faster so it's in their economic interest to go that way.

If you have an SWCG with a pool exposed to full sunlight, you should set your CYA higher, as much as 80 ppm, and set your FC target accordingly so 4 ppm FC if you have 80 ppm CYA. That will have your SWCG last as long as possible.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"