Help with Bugs

May 7, 2014
Vancouver, BC
Not sure what to do, Have these backswimmers in the pool and can't seem to get rid of them. Caught about 40 today and they are driving me crazy. Kids won't get in the pool. Talked to my neighbour who has a pool and has never seen them before. Everything is in check with the pool....not sure what else to do but am at my wits end. Suggestions

They will die off if you FC is high enough. Every once in a while a few will try to move into my pool. I just push my FC up to SLAM level overnight and they die.

I think mine come to visit from the pond.

Kim

Adding borates is said to help and make your water nicer. Here's how, Borates - Why and How

I have borates in my pool about 50ppm, not helping at all. I had my FC at 9.5ppm when I checked last night wanted to bring it back to target level so turned the SWG down from 20% to 15% and ended up having about 40 of those buggers today. It seems the hotter it gets the more we have, I have actually watched them fly into the pool. Just so frustrating. I have now turned the SWG back to 20% to see if that helps. Was not what I envisioned when I put in a pool. Why do they like my pool over my neighbours...just doesn't make sense.

I have borates in my pool about 50ppm, not helping at all. I had my FC at 9.5ppm when I checked last night wanted to bring it back to target level so turned the SWG down from 20% to 15% and ended up having about 40 of those buggers today. It seems the hotter it gets the more we have, I have actually watched them fly into the pool. Just so frustrating. I have now turned the SWG back to 20% to see if that helps. Was not what I envisioned when I put in a pool. Why do they like my pool over my neighbours...just doesn't make sense.

Queenbee, unfortunately Dom is onto something with their preference in nice, clean pools. These bugs LOVE my pool also. I'm certainly no expert, but interestingly, though, I live in Oklahoma where I researched is part of a specific belt of areas where these things tend to be more of a nuisance (especially June/July/August). Now I have yet to give borates a shot as pooldv has suggested, but I am about to. I don't care what it raises or lowers, lol. So, to sum it up, I feel your pain. The only thing I may do as a quick fix is add a squirt or two of dawn liquid to my brush and brush it along my tile/surface as I clean. It will help kill the buggers instantly, but again, it is just a short fix and not a true solution. That said, my TA and CH numbers are also usually waaay high, where they shouldn't be. That must have much to do with it? I cannot possibly have algae. But I must. Somewhere. Either that or I'm just obsessive about them sharing my pool and I'm being a total wuss. Anyway. Good luck and keep fighting the good fight! :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.