Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Floor Drain

1. Back To Top    #1

Floor Drain

Why do some pools have floor drains while others do not? Mine does not.
    19,800 gal fiberglass pool; Hayward Pro sand filter (S244T) w/ vari-flo xl valve; 1.5 hp challenger pump; Aquarite SWG w/ T-15 cell; Dolphin DX3 auto vacuum; TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Floor Drain

My fiberglass pool has 2 main drains near the bottom which in my mind assures the pump of water in case the water level is too low and lets air into the skimmer.

From reading here on TFP I've learned that many new builds are going without main drains.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

Main drains are not really necessary. Probably habit and ignorance is the reason they have lasted in pool so long.

Fact is, most any benefit that a main drain might have, can be accomplished with something else (wall port or lower return). There are plenty of people on this and other forums that have had nothing but trouble with their MDs so I would be happy you don't have one.

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy
    My fiberglass pool has 2 main drains near the bottom which in my mind assures the pump of water in case the water level is too low and lets air into the skimmer.
    That can be accomplished with a wall port too.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

I have two main drains and wouldn't be without them.