Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Increase TA?

1. Back To Top    #1

Increase TA?

Hello all. My TA is at 70 right now. My pool seems to use a lot of acid to keep PH at 7.5 or so. If I added some baking soda according to the pool calculator to raise my TA to 80, would this decrease my muratic acid usage at all?
    38000 Gal, IG, Plaster, 20' x 40' x 10', Attached Raised Spa, Intelliflo VS 3 HP (011018), Pentair Quad DE 60 Filter, Raypak (Rheem) 400,000 BTU (407a low Nox), Easy Touch 8 upgrade, Screenlogic 2 with wireless, IS-4 Spa Side Remote, Stenner 45MPHP10 w/15 gal tank, Intellibrite 5g (3), Dolphin Triton Plus robot with PRO remote, Water Tech Catfish handheld vacuum for spa, TF100 with SpeedStir.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Increase TA?

No, it will actually cause it to use more acid. How much acid are you using?
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

Probably 3/4 gallon per week. I do have a raised spa with spill over. I understand that this can cause PH to rise.
    38000 Gal, IG, Plaster, 20' x 40' x 10', Attached Raised Spa, Intelliflo VS 3 HP (011018), Pentair Quad DE 60 Filter, Raypak (Rheem) 400,000 BTU (407a low Nox), Easy Touch 8 upgrade, Screenlogic 2 with wireless, IS-4 Spa Side Remote, Stenner 45MPHP10 w/15 gal tank, Intellibrite 5g (3), Dolphin Triton Plus robot with PRO remote, Water Tech Catfish handheld vacuum for spa, TF100 with SpeedStir.

4. Back To Top    #4

Don't raise TA. And if you can reduce the flow from the spa - throttle back on the amount returned - it will also slow the pH rise.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

You are using a good amount of acid and there might be some ways to reduce it. Reducing the amount of aeration is the first step and targeting a higher pH will be the next step. The pH will rise slower when it's near 7.8 and you should see how long it will stay at 7.8.

To cover all bases, how old is the plaster?
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner

6. Back To Top    #6

I do have a 2 port ball valve that controls the amount of return to the spa (in pool mode). Based on your replies, I have turned the valve so that maybe 1/3 of the water going to the spa remains. This is just based on observation of the "waterfall" going over the spa spillover. I knew that aeration would increase PH, but also knew that shutting off all the water to the spa was not an option. Didn't think about just reducing the spa flow (DUH). Thanks for the replies and tips!

7. Back To Top    #7

I have my spa adjusted so the water just trickles down the side to eliminate any splashing. Keep an eye on the FC level in the spa for the next few days to make sure it is getting enough water exchange.

8. Back To Top    #8

Reduced the flow to a level to minimize splashing. Will check my daily PH readings and see how much this helps. Thanks again, everybody for all the tips!