Another fight with algae

Nov 25, 2014
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Hello All,

I'm battling Algae again and have been slamming for about a week and 2 days now. The issue I'm having is not being able to pass the oclt.

There is currently no trace of algae on the surface of the pool wall (algae was originally found in the grout lines of the tiles); however it seems like something is consuming the chlorine. I lose about 17 FCs during the day and about 3 FCs overnight.

My test results prior to slamming
FC - 0
CC -0
TA -70
CYA -70
CH -350
Salt -3800
PH -7.8 reduced to 7.2 before slamming

On a side note, I went to Leslie's to buy liquid chlorine since they have a special and the guy knows that I have a swcg pool. He proceeds to tell me that I should not be putting liquid chlorine in the pool and I need an algaecide to kill all algae and then I need to put phosphate removal to keep algae away.

He also said I need to bring in a sample for him to test. I told him I'll be nice and bring a sample.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First, everything he told you is opposite of what we recommend.

Keep up the SLAM. Look for any "hidden" nooks and crannies that could be hiding a pocket of algae. The most common locations are inside the light niche in you pool wall if you have one or inside/underneath ladders.

the guy at the pool store is ignorant to the chemistry of the pool, or he is a liar. either way, just ignore what they say. I get the same attitude from my Leslie's store when I go in to fill up my 2.5g jug with chlorine. always giving me a hard time and saying I need to use powder for my saltwater pool. just ignore them and buy that sweet cheap chlorine.

if you water is clear and your FC is dropping, you need to get your light out. that was the last piece for me. similar to you, couldn't pass to OCLT. removed the light from the niche, tons of black stuff came out, scrubbed it and two days later...passed to OCLT. also, check around the skimmer, I found algae in there as well. you gotta scrub and get rid of everything.

you are too close to finishing the SLAM and having a super easy pool to operate, don't give up.

for my SWCG, I add a little muriatic acid about once a week, and check my FC twice a week. after lots of swimming I use liquid chlorine to bump up my FC. by doing this I never have to adjust my SWCG, I have it dialed in to where it will just maintain the FC level is set it at with the chlorine.

Turn off the breaker. Remove the screw at top of bezel. Don't drop the screw. Pull the light housing out. There is a tab at the bottom that holds it. It will (should) float and there should be enough cord rolled up in the niche to allow you to set the light on the deck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.