Little chlorine and nitrates at 43

boboz

Jun 26, 2015
Fairfield,New Jersey
I have little chlorine and was told by Anthony Sylvan pools to,empty my pool to,get rid of nitrates.My pool contractor told me to add about 10 gallons of household bleach tonight and super chlorinate with 10 lbs of granular chlorine.I don't want to raise my CYA too high and added 4 lbs of shock today is 10 gallons of bleach tonight too much for 27,500 gallons..I Do have mustard algae in some areas.
thanks
bob

Welcome to TFP!

The first decision you have to make is whose advice you are going to follow. As you can see you are getting different suggestions, and I can tell you neither of them match how we would suggest you handle it.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Nitrates are meaningless as are phosphates in a properly chlorinated pool. Blindly adding that much chlorine is NEVER recommended by TFP as it could cause damage.

If you want to take control of your pool, you need to invest in one of the Recommended Test Kits and then post a full set of test results.

The TFPC method is really just about understanding your pool’s chemistry and through accurate testing, adding only what the pool NEEDS.

Anytime I see pounds of shock I get nervous. That shock is bringing along CH or CYA and without a test kit you don't know if you need any of either one. I would stick to liquid until you get your test kit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.