Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Little chlorine and nitrates at 43

1. Back To Top    #1

Little chlorine and nitrates at 43

I have little chlorine and was told by Anthony Sylvan pools to,empty my pool to,get rid of nitrates.My pool contractor told me to add about 10 gallons of household bleach tonight and super chlorinate with 10 lbs of granular chlorine.I don't want to raise my CYA too high and added 4 lbs of shock today is 10 gallons of bleach tonight too much for 27,500 gallons..I Do have mustard algae in some areas.
    thanks
    bob
    My pool,is 27,500 gallons,gunite is 34 years old and has a heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Little chlorine and nitrates at 43

Welcome to TFP!

The first decision you have to make is whose advice you are going to follow. As you can see you are getting different suggestions, and I can tell you neither of them match how we would suggest you handle it.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!!!

Nitrates are meaningless as are phosphates in a properly chlorinated pool. Blindly adding that much chlorine is NEVER recommended by TFP as it could cause damage.

If you want to take control of your pool, you need to invest in one of the Recommended Test Kits and then post a full set of test results.

The TFPC method is really just about understanding your pool’s chemistry and through accurate testing, adding only what the pool NEEDS.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Ordered a test kit will arrive next week,will add a couple of gallons of bleach tonight to see if I can raise th chlorine level,so far CYA seems to be okay,also added 4 lbs of shock today.

5. Back To Top    #5

Anytime I see pounds of shock I get nervous. That shock is bringing along CH or CYA and without a test kit you don't know if you need any of either one. I would stick to liquid until you get your test kit.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

6. Back To Top    #6

Okay,the chlorine level is finally normal high,will check cya tomorrow at pool store and see if it is elevated,will use bleach until I get the test kit.
    thanks

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by boboz View Post
    Okay,the chlorine level is finally normal high,will check cya tomorrow at pool store and see if it is elevated,will use bleach until I get the test kit.
    thanks
    CYA takes approximately a week to show up on tests, even though it is in the water and you should treat it as being there for your chlorine level
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain