New from Yuma

jwgillis

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 18, 2008
Yuma, AZ
Hi,
I am a 4 year pool owner and after much research have decided to join this forum, and only this forum, as TFP clearly is the only swimming pool site with no hidden agenda. In other words, answers instead of sales.
I am trying the approach of higher chlorine levels of 3-5 (vs 1-3) and higher pH levels of 7.5-7.8 (vs 7.2-7.6) to keep an algae and stain free pool.
My question: Do I need to add an algaehide in addition to maintaing the higher levels?

Today's Tests:
TA - 74
pH - 7.6
TC - 5.89
FC - 5.38
Calcium Hardness - 171
CYA - 55
Salt - 3990 (ideal 4000)

I know TC / FC are a little high but I am close to returning to a 4-5 level after recent stain removal process.

My Pool:
14,000 gal IG Fiberglass pool with 850 gal spill over spa, Whisper Flo 1hp pool pump, Whisper Flo 2hp spa pump, Tagelus TA 60D/TA60 sand filter with zeobright fill, Zodiac Clearwater LM2-24 SWG, "Heat Siphon" Model SX5HP pool/spa heater, a water leveler and a Kreepy Krauly cleaner.

Welcome to the forum.

The short answer is "no".

While algaecide certainly causes no harm and can be of some benefit, most of us don't use it. Many do like to supplement a winter closing with it but a properly chlorinated pool simply doesn't need algaecide.