Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Reading that flagstone and salt water don't get along

1. Back To Top    #1

Reading that flagstone and salt water don't get along

Just when I think I have everything nailed down. So is this a real world problem? I mean beer kills brain cells but i am still have a cold one or two. Some people are telling me salt or stone but not both? Then I read sealing helps a little but it's not going to prevent issues.
    33x19, 3'4"-5'6", 7ft spa, baja reef, 14'x9', 18" deep, 10,668 Gal. Quartzite coping, Stonescape Tropics Blue mini-pebble, abalone & glass beads. Jandy Equip.(JXi heater, 2.7HPVS pump, PLC1400 SWG, CV580 filter, Aqualink, LEDs)
    TF-100, Doheny Discovery robot.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Reading that flagstone and salt water don't get along

I have native AZ flagstone (natural buckskin color) and a salt water pool and my stone is fine. It's unsealed 3" thick flagstone coping. I do try to hose it down every week during swim season. I've owned this pool since we moved in and it's going on 5+ years since it was built. No problems yet.

Some folks seal the FS to reduce water permeation but I have chosen to not do that as it then becomes a required ritual to re-seal every so many years. In the hot AZ sun with intense UV, I'd hate to ruin the look with a bad seal job. If my stone only gets 15 years as opposed to 20 with sealing, that's no big deal to me.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

Ditto. I have saltwater and Oklahoma flagstone. Unsealed. Some is pitted, some is flaking and most look exactly the same as when it was installed. Some of my worst flagstone isn't near the pool. Three years in I have no regrets. The condition of the stone is fine and certainly appears to me that it will outlast me. If I have to replace a few of the flaking pieces after 5 or 10 years then so be it. Some seem to have stopped on their own. I don't see how sealing would help the few pieces I have that are flaking because the sealer would be gone with the flaked off piece of stone. A couple are flaking like 1/16" pieces and some are flaking off paper thin pieces. It is natural stone after all and it is doing its thing.

There are pics in my build thread, some are when new and some are from this year.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

What about travertine? Our coping and deck are all travertine and I am thinking of applying sealant specially formulated for salt water. Anyone see issues with travertine and salt water pools?
    2015 build (link)| 16.5 K gal | Salt Water | IG rect | 35'x16' | 568 sf | 105 ft peri | depth 3'-5' | PV3 in-floor | 2 Venturi skimmers | MDX+SDX drains | T-CELL-15 SWG | Hayward Ecostar VS pump | Hayward 7220 DE Filter | Aqua Cal Icebreaker Heat / Cool pump SQ166 | Hayward Sense & Dispense PH Controller| Omnilogic | Pebble Sheen Blue Surf | Ultra UV | Stenner acid pump | Coverstar Automatic | TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

Interesting, I love the look of flagstone, I may have to think about no salt water otherwise perhaps flagstone look pavers for coping...
    33x19, 3'4"-5'6", 7ft spa, baja reef, 14'x9', 18" deep, 10,668 Gal. Quartzite coping, Stonescape Tropics Blue mini-pebble, abalone & glass beads. Jandy Equip.(JXi heater, 2.7HPVS pump, PLC1400 SWG, CV580 filter, Aqualink, LEDs)
    TF-100, Doheny Discovery robot.

6. Back To Top    #6

I was told by every PB I talked to that SW would eventually erode natural flagstone unless you were relentless about keeping it sealed, which costs time and money.

I just went went with concrete, which will be covered with SprayDeck anyway.
    36 x 16 IG, SWG, FAFCO Solar Heating System, WetEdge Primera Stone Sky Blue Treasure, 8.5' - 3.5' depth, 6' S.R. Smith Flyte-Deck II Dive Stand, Interfab X-Stream slide, 27k gallons, doggy tanning ledge w/ 2 bubblers, 2.75 Hayward Tristar pump, Hayward 425 cart filter, Hayward T-15 Salt Cell, Hayward ColorLogic 4.0 light, Dolphin Z5

7. Back To Top    #7

The salt water is in your pool, not on your deck or coping. Just hose it down if you have a lot of splashout. I have travertine and saltwater and my stone looks as good as new. I never hose mine off but then again we get a lot of rain down here.
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by tedujam View Post
    I was told by every PB I talked to that SW would eventually erode natural flagstone unless you were relentless about keeping it sealed, which costs time and money.

I just went went with concrete, which will be covered with SprayDeck anyway.
    Doesn't SprayDeck flake off eventually? Or is that the cooldeck stuff. Anyway - stone can have problems even without salt. I would stay away from the lighter pink/red colors of sandstone flagstone and stick to the harder stuff. I think a lot of rock problems that blamed on salt are just the nature of the stone that has the problem and have absolutely nothing to do with the salt in the water.
    ~15K gal, IG gunite with new Wetedge Satin Matrix Pebble Finish installed mid 04/14, 1 HP Pentair Challanger pump, Sta-rite System 3 300 sqft cartridge filter, G3 cleaner