right direction?

JTDL

Jun 19, 2015
Geneva, IL
Hi Folks - Just getting started on the TFP Methods.. Would be great to get some insights to confirm I'm on the right path.

6/12 Starting point with Leslie in store testing w/taylor kit

FC 0
TC 0
CC 0
PH 7.6
ALK 120
CH 180
CYA 99
Copper 0
Iron 0
TDS 1200
Phosphates 500

Pulled Frog mineral system and Frog bac PAQ Tricho, Added 2 lb lithium shock (had on hand) and switched to 8.25% chlorine, replaced about 6100 gals in two steps

6/25 - K2006 testing at home (cool kit btw)

FC 4
CC <0.5 (No pink at all)
PH 7.8
ALK 220
CH 120
CYA 60

Note that I tested the tap water used to add 6100 gals to the pool. its why my ALK went up and CH went down.
Added 64 oz Muriatic Acid and 32 oz 8.25% chlorine (not at the same time)

6/26 K2006 testing at home

FC 7
CC <0.5 (No pink at all)
PH 7.2
ALK 200
CH 120
CYA 60

I've not completed a SLAM but don't really think I need to at this point. Water is crystal blue and has no measurable overnight FC loss. Water temp is keep at 88.

Go forward plan:
  • run slide to increase PH to about 7.6 and then continue rounds of Muriatic Acid until I hit 80 ALK. Slide is increasing PH by about .2 with four hours of running.
  • add 8.25% chlorine as needed per pool math site
  • will not worry about CH (vinyl), TDS, Phosphates
  • let CYA go down over the season with splash and backwash, Monitor ALK when adding water back in as my Tap water ALK is 320.

Only odd ball thing I can see is a purple color in my CH test instead of Red. A left over from my frog mineral system or from the added Tap water maybe? Adding 5 drops of titrant 1st didn't have a change on the purple color. Will likely have Leslie's test for metal next month just to rule out a possible unknown issue.

Side question, should I be applying a CYA correction to total alkalinity as suggested in the Taylor kit manual? Assuming a target ph of 7.4 my CYA of 60..

ALkc = ALKta - (CYA x CYAf)

ALKc = 200 - (60 x .33)

AlKc = 180.2

Applying this correction would mean I need to reduce TA less than I would based on the measurement alone. Which is more correct? or at the end of the day does +/- 10 ppm TA really matter when you talking 80 or 90 TA (target)?

Thanks in advance!

wouldn't worry anything about TA. its fine. its high which could cause your pH to rise a bit quicker, but then you would add more MA to reduce the pH which will reduce your TA over time. just monitor your pH and make changes as needed and don't really worry about TA. your pH hasn't been really high in any of the readings you note, so you are good.

I wouldn't run the slide to just raise pH...how fast is your pH rising in your pool under normal operation? I adjust my pH once a week about, maybe every 5 days with some MA. I lower mine to 7.2 when it hits 7.8. don't want to go below or above those. doesn't need to be steady at 7.5 constantly.

if you pass to OCLT, no need for a SLAM, just keep up that FC at target and NEVER let it fall below the minimum for your CYA. I wouldn't worry about your CYA right now, its slightly high but that would only matter if you had to SLAM to the pool.

welcome by the way!

You look good. Depending on how much sun your pool gets, 60 CYA might not be a bad thing.

As Dan said, don't mess with the TA unless your pH is just terribly unstable. It will come down as you add acid to keep the pH in line.

Ignore the adjustments in the Taylor instructions. All our advice is based on raw numbers

Oh, if no pink shows up then just call your CC "0"

Okay so I just need to monitor FC and PH, like normal, and TA will come down when I adjust for PH upward drifts. Said another way, I'm done with active adjustments and should just enjoy the pool! :D

I have to say, switching was really much easier than I had thought. Thanks folks.

Okay so I just need to monitor FC and PH, like normal, and TA will come down when I adjust for PH upward drifts. Said another way, I'm done with active adjustments and should just enjoy the pool! :D

I have to say, switching was really much easier than I had thought. Thanks folks.

yep, Bingo! there is a reason its called Trouble Free pool...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.