Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: And now my watch is ended.

1. Back To Top    #1

Cool And now my watch is ended.

So I just passed my first SLAM last night! Water is sparkling clear, 0CC and my FC was 21 last night and 21 this morning! But I do have a question/concern. The reason I got algae in the first place is because my FC level drops quite a bit during the day and I'm new to this so it got down to zero a few times to my surprise. An example this morning at 7AM I was at 21ppm FC and four hours later I am at 12 which means i'm losing a little over 2ppm every hour. I need to keep my FC up this time and I am wondering if I need more CYA and if so how much. I currently am at 30ppm, sometimes I think it's 40, but when it's super bright out, without the sun directly on it, 30ppm seems closest. The pool temp is approaching 90 and it's been near 100 here everyday, so what level would you recommend? There is no shade at all on the pool, so it receives sun for about 8 or 9 hours a day, which I have heard helps algae get started if given the chance. Thanks everyone, you've been a huge help!
    26' Intex 17k gallon above ground pool. 3000 GPH intex sand filter. Taylor Tech. k-2006 Test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: And now my watch is ended.

Shoot for 50 CYA.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks, I will shoot for it. Something odd though, I just checked it two hours later and it only went down 1ppm. Does the fc loss slow down when the fc gets lower? Does it lose more when there is a lot?
    26' Intex 17k gallon above ground pool. 3000 GPH intex sand filter. Taylor Tech. k-2006 Test kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

yup, sounds right. your pool with property CYA will probably only lose 2-3ppm per day. and FC lost is based on a percentage with CYA, so the lower your FC goes the less total loss in ppm you will see.
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;

5. Back To Top    #5

Ah cool. Then I will just monitor it and see what I lose and if it's more than 2-3ppm per day I will follow Richard's advice and bump it up to 50. Thanks guys!

6. Back To Top    #6

I have 50 ppm cya and lose usually 2ppm per day. Every few days I lose 3 or a bit more depending on use and sun. Based on my loss I like to dose to 7 and drop to 5 and sometimes 4. I like the comfort zone of basically staying between 5 and 7. Works well for me!