My parents have an 8600 gallons 18' above ground pool with a hayward 1.5hp pump. And I did a water test with the aqua check strips the other day and there was no free chlorine available. So I added liquid chlorine to the pool and I also shocked the pool with sodiumhypochlorite at night. That kept the chlorine level up while I was there. She normally uses 3 inch tablets in a floater but when I checked the floater there was almost 2 full pucks in it and I asked her when was the last time that she added pucks, she said it was 3 days before. Is it normal for a 3 inch puck not to be melted after 3 days? There was just a little erosion on the side of that puck. The floater is wide open and the pump runs 24/7. Should I put the pucks in the skimmer since the pump is on 24/7, would that help? Just tell her to remove the puck if she stops the pump.
Also before I added chlorine the water was clear and after I added it it became all blurry. I think it's because there was algae and the chlorine killed it? She said I dont understand your method of taking care of the pool, I was always though, chlorine pucks, algicide and backwash often. And that's what she has done for the past 20 years. The water was clear all these years but maybe that doesn't mean the water was safe to swim in?