Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replace spider gasket... to adhere or not

1. Back To Top    #1

Replace spider gasket... to adhere or not

I've determined I have a leak where some water is coming out the waste pipe when in filter mode, and from reading the spider gasket seems most likely. Amazon has a "rebuild" kit for my valve which I'm planning on ordering but I had a question on putting the new seal in.

I've read some indicate that you're supposed to use an adhesive on the bottom of the seal, but apparently some don't advise that.. How do you know?

Also, as I'm in the middle of a SLAM shutting everything down for 24 hours waiting for the glue to dry would probably mess me up.... Question is, can I just lube it up with the silicon o-ring lube and put it in with no adhesive and see if it's OK (at least no worse than current hopefully), and then add adhesive later if needed?

Alternative is I just deal with the leak until SLAM complete and keep adding water (which also probably makes SLAM less efficient since added water is 2ppm FC).

I'm also working on getting a ball valve on the waste line as a backup but wasn't successful yet. I got a valve that I thought didn't need the cement, but apparently I was wrong..
    ~30kgal in-ground concrete
    Hayward S-240 300lb sand filter
    Hayward 1HP pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Replace spider gasket... to adhere or not

I don't know. But, I've seen this tutorial a few times and it might help.
    How to Replace a Spider Gasket on a Multiport Valve - INYOPools.com

if you do decide to shut it off for 24 hours you can still test and add bleach. Mix it in by brushing the pool. It will be fine.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

A ball valve on waste is useful when you want to vac to waste and don't like feeling you're in a rush because the water level drops so fast when not restricted. I've replaced a gasket that was super glued before and it was a pain getting the old glu scraped off before putting the new gasket on, but it does dry fast. I prefer 100% silicone caulk to adhere my gasket. If I had to replace a gasket during a SLAM,I would wait until you pass all but the cloudiness test if the only problem noticed with gasket was leaking out the waste, but I would cap it or put a ball valve on waste to stop the leak. The reason I would consider doing it during SLAM is the gasket has obviously been worn so there may be uncertainty over the filter possibly letting some of the water bypass filtration.
    17,100 Gal 27' x 52" AGP steel wall vinyl; 44gpm Cooper sand filter; Hayward 1hp sp1580 single-speed; 1.5" plumbing, 1 skimmer/jet, inline chlorinator.
    Chlorine / CYA Chart | SLAM Process | Chlorine cost/fl. oz calculator

4. Back To Top    #4

I went ahead and did it last night... no adhesive just silicone o-ring lube. Leak appeared to be gone. Will monitor. Old gasket was definitely done for.

~30kgal in-ground concrete
    Hayward S-240 300lb sand filter
    Hayward 1HP pump