HELP - GFI on Hayward SP3400 VS keeps blowing after 2 driver/motor replacements

iom

May 30, 2012
Tempe, AZ
Symptoms and Diag steps taken:
GFI blows when the pump is connected. GFI breaker replaced for good measure and keeps blowing. Does not blow when pump is disconnected.
Driver replaced two times, motor replaced 2 times - and goth GFI breakers keep blowing.

Note: the hot wires swap at the pump produce two different behaviours. One: the screen lights up and when the motor attempts to turn the GFI blows. Two: after swaping hot wire positions on the pump - the GFI blows instantaneously without lighting up the screen. The pump works fine on regular non-gfi breaker.

Hayward replaced driver two times under the warranty but now their servicer cannot understand what is going on and the warranty keeps approaching expiration date.
I cannot test the circuit with a different load (eg. light bulb) for nex week or so.
Before replacing all the wires to the pump, I checked with electrician's website - and all state that if GFI with the pump disconnected does not blow, and blows after the pump is connected it means the pump is to be replaced. They refuse to differentiate between the pump driver and pump motor - they adamantly say - change the pump.
Any know-how on that out there?

Just having gone through GFCI issues with a brand new SP3400 (thread linked above), for sure ask that the Siemens breaker be tried if neither of the two tried yet already was. It took a lot of digging around here, finding comments about VSP being finicky, before finding someone who posted that after numerous calls to Hayward he was told by them to use the Siemens and it worked. I went in circles myself, but since I put the Siemens in it works perfect. The part number for the 20A is QF220P, but if yours is 15A I'd assume there would be an equivalent.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.