Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: HELP - GFI on Hayward SP3400 VS keeps blowing after 2 driver/motor replacements

1. Back To Top    #1

HELP - GFI on Hayward SP3400 VS keeps blowing after 2 driver/motor replacements

Symptoms and Diag steps taken:
    GFI blows when the pump is connected. GFI breaker replaced for good measure and keeps blowing. Does not blow when pump is disconnected.
    Driver replaced two times, motor replaced 2 times - and goth GFI breakers keep blowing.

Note: the hot wires swap at the pump produce two different behaviours. One: the screen lights up and when the motor attempts to turn the GFI blows. Two: after swaping hot wire positions on the pump - the GFI blows instantaneously without lighting up the screen. The pump works fine on regular non-gfi breaker.

Hayward replaced driver two times under the warranty but now their servicer cannot understand what is going on and the warranty keeps approaching expiration date.
    I cannot test the circuit with a different load (eg. light bulb) for nex week or so.
    Before replacing all the wires to the pump, I checked with electrician's website - and all state that if GFI with the pump disconnected does not blow, and blows after the pump is connected it means the pump is to be replaced. They refuse to differentiate between the pump driver and pump motor - they adamantly say - change the pump.
    Any know-how on that out there?
    Pools size: 21,690 gallons in ground plaster on concrete;
    in-line Pentair tablet chlorinator; Triton II with ClearPro sand filter;
    Hayward Ecostar SP3400 vsp; automatic accid injection by SOLAXX.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: HELP - GFI on Hayward SP3400 VS keeps blowing after 2 driver/motor replacements

I assume when you say the GFCI blows, you mean it trips off.

There have been some instances of GFCI's not working well on VS drives. Post 4 has some info in this thread New Hayward SP3400VSP tripping GFCI breaker that describes exactly what you are up against.

Question...Are you connecting this to a 240 volt 2 pole breaker?
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Re: HELP - GFI on Hayward SP3400 VS keeps blowing after 2 driver/motor replacements

Swapping hot wires at the pump should produce no difference in operation. You need to get with an electrician if you are not familiar with diagnosing electrical issues.
    25K aggregate IG, Intellipro, FNS48, Polaris 360, PG2000 fiber optic light source

4. Back To Top    #4

VFD's on GFCI breakers are unpredictable. you need to get an electrician
    that is experienced with VFD's
    IG, pebble tech, 25K gallons, grotto, SPA that spills into pool, water slide, two other water falls. Equipment Pentair, filter FNS + 60, pool pump 1.5HP single speed wisperflo, spa 3 HP single speed wisperflo, grotto/ slide 3HP single speed wisperflo, waterfall 2HP single speed wisperflo, minimax NT 400K btu, Hayward XL pool vac, SWG IC60, compool 3800 automation, built 2007.

5. Back To Top    #5

Just having gone through GFCI issues with a brand new SP3400 (thread linked above), for sure ask that the Siemens breaker be tried if neither of the two tried yet already was. It took a lot of digging around here, finding comments about VSP being finicky, before finding someone who posted that after numerous calls to Hayward he was told by them to use the Siemens and it worked. I went in circles myself, but since I put the Siemens in it works perfect. The part number for the 20A is QF220P, but if yours is 15A I'd assume there would be an equivalent.
    Scott
    15,000 Gallons vinyl in-ground screen enclosed, Hayward Eco-star SP3400VSP, Hayward Aqua Logic PL-Plus, Hayward T-15 Salt Cell, Hayward S244T Sand Filter, Polaris 380 with booster pump, Hayward heat pump HP50HA. K-2006 kit.