Deep clean for Side-Port sand filter

Jun 8, 2015
Lexington, NC
Ok, I just read the deep clean instructions for sand filters and this is something I almost certainly need to do since my equipment is of unknown age and spotty maintenance history.

My question is, the instructions were written for a top mounted MPV but my filter has the side mounted MPV. There's a clear dome at the top of the filter I guess I'd remove that to stick the hose down in?

Rather than just letting the water overflow could I set my side MPV to rinse/waste/backwash as long as all other valves are closed there shouldn't be any flow back into the pool in these settings right?

Great writeup btw!

I think you would want the multiport on backwash so that the water on the top of the sand bed could enter the pipe and go to waste ... this might work and not have water spill over the top of the filter. Certainly be sure to close off the suction valves so water does not flow backward.

Yes, i'd think with the pump off that would be reasonably protected, but would close suction and pressure side valves just to be safe.. My pump is in a concrete "bunker" under my patio, so I'd rather not be draining swamp water to the floor..

Where does the backwash pipe go? This process will not be pressurizing the backwash line and therefore the backwash pipe can NOT go above the filter water level or the water will just spill out of the top of the filter instead.

backwash pipe is 100% below the top of the filter, it's routed to a floor drain in the bunker/cave area. You can see it running along the floor at the right side of this pic.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Filter and pump.jpg
    Filter and pump.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 50
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.