Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Deep clean for Side-Port sand filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Deep clean for Side-Port sand filter

Ok, I just read the deep clean instructions for sand filters and this is something I almost certainly need to do since my equipment is of unknown age and spotty maintenance history.

My question is, the instructions were written for a top mounted MPV but my filter has the side mounted MPV. There's a clear dome at the top of the filter I guess I'd remove that to stick the hose down in?

Rather than just letting the water overflow could I set my side MPV to rinse/waste/backwash as long as all other valves are closed there shouldn't be any flow back into the pool in these settings right?

Great writeup btw!
    ~30kgal in-ground concrete
    Hayward S-240 300lb sand filter
    Hayward 1HP pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Deep clean for Side-Port sand filter

I think you would want the multiport on backwash so that the water on the top of the sand bed could enter the pipe and go to waste ... this might work and not have water spill over the top of the filter. Certainly be sure to close off the suction valves so water does not flow backward.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, i'd think with the pump off that would be reasonably protected, but would close suction and pressure side valves just to be safe.. My pump is in a concrete "bunker" under my patio, so I'd rather not be draining swamp water to the floor..
    Hayward 1HP pump

4. Back To Top    #4

Where does the backwash pipe go? This process will not be pressurizing the backwash line and therefore the backwash pipe can NOT go above the filter water level or the water will just spill out of the top of the filter instead.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

backwash pipe is 100% below the top of the filter, it's routed to a floor drain in the bunker/cave area. You can see it running along the floor at the right side of this pic.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Hayward 1HP pump

6. Back To Top    #6

Ah, ok it should work then.
    Jason, TFP Moderator