Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Vacation for 5 days

1. Back To Top    #1

Vacation for 5 days

Hello, I am a newbe, but so far so good (fingers crossed) I have not needed to SLAM and my pool is sparkling! I usually lose approximately 1.5-2ppm per day of chlorine. BUT.... I am going away for 5 days... I do not have anyone to take care of my pool, so these are my choices:
    1. Before I leave, put enough bleach to shock level and hope for the best;
    2. Put pucks in my automatic chlorinator, that is hooked up and never used. (if so how many pucks?)
    3. Use the floater puck thing, and again how many pucks do I put in there?

Anything else I should do? I hate to mess up my pool when I am on a "winning" streak.. Thanks for any advice.
    5,700 gallon, Carribean Isle 15x52 Round Above Pool.
    Cartridge Filter.
    Installed Fall, 2014.
    North New Jersey
    Using the TF100 test

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Vacation for 5 days

What is your CYA level? Pucks add to it and you want to make sure you don't go too high on that.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3

You've got the right idea. Just before leaving, go ahead and raise your FC to shock level which hopefully will take a couple days to lower. At the same time, using your tablet feeder or floater with a couple tablets should work as well to help get you through a few days. If your pump is on a timer, let is run as programmed. If not, perhaps get a simple automatic timer to let is run for a couple hours each day. Have a nice vacation!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

My CYA is 40 as of right now. How much with say 2-3 pucks add to my CYA? I do have a timer on my pump that runs automatically, so that should not be a problem. Thanks for the help!
    5,700 gallon, Carribean Isle 15x52 Round Above Pool.
    Cartridge Filter.
    Installed Fall, 2014.
    North New Jersey
    Using the TF100 test

5. Back To Top    #5

A lot depends on your pool size and amount of water flow, to include which products you use. A common thought is that for every 1 ppm of chlorine you add with pucks, you add 0.6 ppm of CYA.
    Here's an example (from a previous post):
    - For every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) added by Trichlor, it also increases Cyanuric Acid (CYA) by 6 ppm.
    - For every 10 ppm FC added by Dichlor, it also increases CYA by 9 ppm.
    - For every 10 ppm FC added by Cal-Hypo, it also increases Calcium Hardness (CH) by at least 7 ppm.

But you're only going to be gone for 5 days. A couple tablets will be fine. Also note that tablets add faster than floaters. I believe if you look at the bottom of the Poolmath calculator (link below) there's a way to anticipate CYA changes with pucks as well.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!