Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cartridge filter cracks

1. Back To Top    #1

Cartridge filter cracks

Hi,
    I'm new to the forum and would like an opinion from some of you experienced pool maintenance guys.
    At the end of last year I bought a house that came with an above ground pool. When I opened and started using it in May, I put into the filter tank a filter cartridge that the previous owner left for me. After a week or so I took the cartridge out to clean it, because there was green algae on the bottom of the pool (after 2x pool shock). To my surprise the bottom cap of the cartridge was cracked in a few places. I thought that it was a dud, so I ordered a new one. Well, after 3 weeks I took the new one out, and it was also cracked in 5 places. Do you know what could be causing the cracks?
    [IMG][/IMG]

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cartridge filter cracks

Hello Poolpeter, and welcome to TFP. If that is happening to a new filter too, a couple things come to mind - too much pressure or the wrong size filter. If you cold update your signature with all of your pool int that may help the readers answer. Please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later.

Welcome to TFP!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Judging by the broken bands and bulging I'd guess that the cartridge is being compressed too much. Are you certain it's the correct size for your filter?
    20k gal. IG plaster w/spa. 2 HP Aqua-Flo "A" pump, Hayward DE6020 filter. "The Pool Cleaner".

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you for your replies. Well, I have just found out that the filter cartridge that I got ( and the one that the previous home owner used ) are for 200SF/GPM and the filter tank is for 150SF/GPM. Is that too big of difference? The filter seems to fit snug.
    My pool : Above ground 14700 gallons. Pentair 160317 Clean& CLear Fiberglass Reinforced Polypropylene Tank Cartridge Pool Filter, 150 Sq Ft, 150 GPM. Pentair Optiflo 347986 1.5HP Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

CC150 and CC200 cartridge are same physical size, more pleats. Post a picture of the canister you're putting it in.
    25K aggregate IG, Intellipro, FNS48, Polaris 360, PG2000 fiber optic light source

6. Back To Top    #6

There should be a piece that the cartridge fits over. Large black cylinder with holes throughout. If you are not using then the filter is getting crushed when the pump is on. I bought the 150 but have since started using 200SF cartridges. No problems like this in 8 seasons with it.
    18'X37', 21,500 gallon IG Pool Plaster finish
    Pentair Clean & Clear 200 Cartridge Filter
    1.5 HP Pentair Superflo Pump 2-speed motor
    Pentair Intellichlor IC40
    Kreepy Krawley Cleaner

7. Back To Top    #7

Also, there is a top and a bottom to this filter. The top is marked as such. Not sure why it makes a difference but there must be some reason for it
    Kreepy Krawley Cleaner

8. Back To Top    #8

I took a picture of the inside of the filter tank/canister after removing the cartridge, so you would have an idea of how it looks like inside. Both of the cartridges that I used in the past 2 months, were placed correctly over the black cylinder with the top being at the top an bottom at the bottom. I'm careful about following the instructions. I'd really like to find out what is causing the cracking, because I just got another cartridge, and I really wouldn't want it to end up cracking as well.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    My pool : Above ground 14700 gallons. Pentair 160317 Clean& CLear Fiberglass Reinforced Polypropylene Tank Cartridge Pool Filter, 150 Sq Ft, 150 GPM. Pentair Optiflo 347986 1.5HP Pump

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by PoolPeter View Post
    I took a picture of the inside of the filter tank/canister after removing the cartridge, so you would have an idea of how it looks like inside. Both of the cartridges that I used in the past 2 months, were placed correctly over the black cylinder with the top being at the top an bottom at the bottom. I'm careful about following the instructions. I'd really like to find out what is causing the cracking, because I just got another cartridge, and I really wouldn't want it to end up cracking as well.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Make sure the center core is pointed towards the inlet (pump side). There is an arrow on top to guide you. Also, it looks like the air bleed filter is torn. May need to replace it, probably not what's causing the problem though.
    Kreepy Krawley Cleaner

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks. Yes, it does seem like the center core has not been positioned correctly. It has been like that since I bought the house. Do you think that the wrong position of the core could be the reason for the cracks? I've never owned a swimming pool before, so this is all new to me.

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks. Yes, it does seem like the center core has not been positioned correctly. It has been like that since I bought the house. Do you think that the wrong position of the core could be the reason for the cracks? I've never owned a swimming pool before, so this is all new to me.
    Definitely possible. With it being in the wrong position, the flow could go the wrong way causing the cartridge to blow out. It would not filter very efficiently either. You also have an accumulation of dirt on the inside of the filter. Hard to say if that happened before or after the blowout.
    Kreepy Krawley Cleaner

12. Back To Top    #12

I think I have found out the source of the problem. The bottom part of the center core is broken off. I thought that it was supposed to come off with the cartridge, but as I was going though the manual online I found out that the core is broken. I'll try using marine weld to put it back together, but I have doubts that it'll work. Worth trying though...

13. Back To Top    #13

I think I have found out the source of the problem. The bottom part of the center core is broken off. I thought that it was supposed to come off with the cartridge, but as I was going though the manual online I found out that the core is broken. I'll try using marine weld to put it back together, but I have doubts that it'll work. Worth trying though...
    Pool Supply World has them. You might could find it cheaper elsewhere. Just Google the part number.

Pentair Clean & Clear Filter System: Before 2009
    Kreepy Krawley Cleaner

14. Back To Top    #14

Hi,
    I'm new to the forum and would like an opinion from some of you experienced pool maintenance guys.
    At the end of last year I bought a house that came with an above ground pool. When I opened and started using it in May, I put into the filter tank a filter cartridge that the previous owner left for me. After a week or so I took the cartridge out to clean it, because there was green algae on the bottom of the pool (after 2x pool shock). To my surprise the bottom cap of the cartridge was cracked in a few places. I thought that it was a dud, so I ordered a new one. Well, after 3 weeks I took the new one out, and it was also cracked in 5 places. Do you know what could be causing the cracks?
    [IM

G][/IMG]
    i
    This year I accidentally had the plumbing reversed causing the cartridge to crack.I had the inlet and outlet reversed on the filter.I felt like an idiot seeing
    how much these cartridges are to replace.
    15' X 30; above ground pool I use a Swimpro Voyager filtration system with a 2hp Hayward pump